• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Steering suddenly lighter?

Hey guys,

Odd issue and it may be nothing but for as long as I’ve owned the car when I started it the steering wheel would give a little shake as if something was pressurising, maybe a power steering pump or something. Now it doesn’t do it anymore and the steering feels lighter, it’s not undrivable but has changed the way the car feels. Nothings changed recently other than i topped up the air in the back tyres.

Anyone else experienced this?

It's got electronic power steering so it's not the pump.

Maybe it's the varying assistance of not being in +R? Does the steering go heavier when you press the +R button? Also have you checked the tyre pressures in the front?

Hey Loxy,

Right enough I haven't used the +R mode in quite some time because the state of the roads around here are like driving on the moon, I'll give it a go on the drive home tonight and see if it shifts it back. I checked out the front tyres this morning and they're all good. Excuse my ignorance with the electronic power steering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I checked mine tonight, in +R its heavy, in normal mode it's quite light,
Are the tyres ok for tread, if they're the original contis the fronts could be shot on the inside edge, also PSI could be out if you used the Honda pump, it's terrible I pumped mine up to 32 all round and the pump started to give in, I checked the next day with my decent pump and I was seeing differences of up to 7psi

The pump Honda supply is for emergency use to fill the tyre with the gunk in the bottle, just to get you home or to a tyre fitter.

If you want a decent electronic pump, get one like the Ring. I've had one for years and it is still spot on accurate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OP0WZGI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XvYBCbD0AGW9P

ccf7cd8eafd85d2e32660b0d63ace4bd.jpg

Gave it a go on the drive home last night and on the drive in this morning and no change. I expected the +R mode to make it feel heavy but it felt the same, I'm guessing when you guys first start the car your steering wheel has never moved as if something is tightening up? I reminds me of an old playstation steering wheel that had force feedback and when it was plugged in the belt would tighten/calibrate. It had a service and it's first MOT in November and they did swap the front tyres to the back and vice versa but I'm pretty sure it never changed around that time but we have had some crappy weather so I might not have noticed.

It's running Toyo Proxes Sports that were fitted by the garage i bought it from and I'm just waiting to wear these down to fit some Michelin's onto it, It was a coin operated petrol station air pump i used and i have a pressure checker in the centre compartment to check them.

It's probably running as it should but I thought i would check.

Thinking about this logically it could well be the steering wheel lock coming OFF...it's keyless entry...not like the old days when you had to waggle the steering wheel while turning the key :)

I'm off outside to experiment :lol:

Just to be clear...if you park up with your wheels at full lock & apply the steering wheel lock then don't expect your steering wheel to spin around (like Linda Blair's head in "The Exorcist") when you fire it back up :lol:

Hey guys,

Odd issue and it may be nothing but for as long as I’ve owned the car when I started it the steering wheel would give a little shake as if something was pressurising, maybe a power steering pump or something. Now it doesn’t do it anymore and the steering feels lighter, it’s not undrivable but has changed the way the car feels. Nothings changed recently other than i topped up the air in the back tyres.

Anyone else experienced this?

My fk2 does as you describe on starting.Doesnt have to have steering lock on. If its stopped doing it something I would say has changed. A Honda technician should be able to answer the question
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...the EPS centralises itself,on start up,if the steering wheel has been locked :)

Mine has always done this, the wheel does a little kick as the lock comes off, but since the OP's post I've realised I've not felt it for sometime, so double checked this morning and no movement on the wheel, tried again at the petrol station again no movement whatsoever

Steering lock makes sense, maybe it's something to do with getting out the car and before I've knocked the steering wheel getting out and now i'm not? I dunno, it's interesting though, I've been having to educate myself on electric power steering over the weekend haha.

I tried again yesterday and managed to get it to kick,

When you park up, before switching the engine off give your steering wheel a slight turn left or right.
Switch off and lock the wheel off, next time you start up the kick should happen that you remembered.

I'm guessing that before when we've parked up the steering wheel was perfectly centred before switching off,

It's surprising the little things you forget about the car and only remember when new members question things

Back