• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Had FK8 just over 6 months, a few little niggles .....

funny, i've found myself vaugely tempted by an gt86. power probably more usable on the road. stubbornness made me stick with the fk2.

The power is very usable low down and from 5k upwards but these engines suffer from an annoying torque dip at about 3.5k to 4.5k rpm because of the restricted manifold/primary cat set up. It's like a bottle neck which stall the gasses until the pressure builds up and starts to flow faster. There are replacement aftermarket manifolds which removes this did but together with a compulsory remap becomes quite expensive at about £1.5K plus the increase in noise and the slight issues with the MOT although the secondary cat can compensate for it. I'd rather put the cash towards another car.

wasnt there a ratio of gt86 to brz sales? not sure i've ever seen the brz on the road and even more strangely, i dont think i've seen one ('86 or brz) at the few trackdays i did last year either.

I think the ratio was like 10:1. I think Toyota has some commercial right to sell more than Subaru....

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was considering the BRZ or GT86 it would be the GT86 simply because I have no idea where the nearest Subaru dealer is and would probably be a PITA for every warranty niggle and servicing.

If I was considering the BRZ or GT86 it would be the GT86 simply because I have no idea where the nearest Subaru dealer is and would probably be a PITA for every warranty niggle and servicing.

Agreed. Plus the servicing costs can be eye watering. I'm lucky as the dealer is only 15 minutes drive and the servicing is realistically priced.

No haven't regretted it I enjoyed the GT86 but think the Honda is slightly better and a lot more practical

Slightly?! Performance must be different league? Grant Gt86 may be more 'fun' on the limit

Also, Fk2 vs FK8, which was better?!

Slightly?! Performance must be different league? Grant Gt86 may be more 'fun' on the limit

Also, Fk2 vs FK8, which was better?!

Honda is streets ahead in performance but the GT86 has usable power on the road. FK2 was a great car but a soon as I drove the FK8 I wanted one FK8 is the better everyday driver easier to get in and out of and better set up driving modes.

Issues.....
Drivers window wind noise when I hit 70mph and above,
Condensation in R/N/S light lense,
Front parking sensors going mental when its raining,
And the latest is a noise that has got progressively louder caused by the bearing and top mount on o/s front suspension.
Non of that matters when your doing more than you should round Saddleworth moor having ****ed off a Ford ST, VW golf and a Scoobydoo...:)

What's Honda say about the top mount
Being done free of charge under warranty, just a pita going back and forth.
Told them about it at service in January been back 3 times since, got one of the mechanics to road test with me after a little strop, found some speed bumps so he could hear it.
They had it for 3 days after that and they still had to fit chassis ears to pinpoint fault.
Parts not in stock so going back this week for fitting they say 4 hours which sounds like they are milking it to get higher labour off Honda UK

Being done free of charge under warranty, just a pitta going back and forth.
Told them about it at service in January been back 3 times since, got one of the mechanics to road test with me after a little strop, found some speed bumps so he could hear it.
They had it for 3 days after that and they still had to fit chassis ears to pinpoint fault.
Parts not in stock so going back this week for fitting they say 4 hours which sounds like they are milking it to get higher labour off Honda UK

Like a single knock sound or even a metallic 'boink' YOu can only hear over bumps? If so I fear I may have this...

Least I know what it is now if it is!!

At first it was a small sound like a gentle fart, wife and kids thought I was mad because they couldn’t hear anything, it would do it on any uneven ground, speed bumps and I could hear it when changing direction like when stopping and putting it into reverse to park.
I had it down to suspension or anti roll bar bushes, the noise got louder over a couple of months and did turn into a knocking and a vibration you could feel through the steering wheel.

Ah ok thanks, the only gentle (and not so gentle) farts are coming from me, so maybe this is something different...

Sounds like your driver's side window seal isn't great - they gonna fix that?

They don’t want to, told them about it every time I’m in there. All they have done so far is adjust the door wrongly.
Again I’m going to have to get stroppy mention Honda Uk and changing dealership etc and I might get a road test with a mechanic, I will let him drive it on the motorway

Issues.....
Drivers window wind noise when I hit 70mph and above,
Condensation in R/N/S light lense,
Front parking sensors going mental when its raining,
And the latest is a noise that has got progressively louder caused by the bearing and top mount on o/s front suspension.
Non of that matters when your doing more than you should round Saddleworth moor having ****ed off a Ford ST, VW golf and a Scoobydoo...:)

I've got the same drivers side wind noise at 70mph too. Had all door an window seals replaced but it's still there. Dealer still claims its normal wind noise or that they can't hear it. Was thinking about wind deflectors but don't really want to fork out for them if it doesn't improve it.

Back