• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Honda EP3 bolt on turbo kit

Just make sure it's a decent make and not some cheap Chinese bull! If at 88,000 points at engine mileage, that's nothing on a K20. They're built pretty well if looked after.
Before doing a boost upgrade, i'd get a good service, including valve gaps, full fluids change, check the tensioner for the chain etc. Make sure the engine is as good as it can be before going any further.
Once that's complete, get to sorting the cooling properly. Bigger rad, oil cooler, better hoses. Anything you can do to keep the extra heat down.
After that you'll want supporting mods eg. Air Intake, exhaust manifold, intake manifold, bigger throttle body etc. And to keep this lot in check, you'll want a good ECU. KPro, Syvecs or Link are the usuals for turbo applications.
Once this is all sorted, then you can start looking at turbo's etc. If you want max power out of it, you'll want to look at a fully built engine with better lifters, pistons, rods, cams.

Basically, if you're going cheap, then be prepared to build the engine repeatedly. If you're going full on, good turbo, good supporting mods, then expect to have deep pockets.

Tom on here is one of the guys i'd be talking to. He had an animal of a boosted EP3.

If your looking at a bolt on kit that cost less than £2000, I wouldn't bother. Its cheap for a reason. Flimsy parts, probably won't make the gains your looking for, and it would always be in the back of my mind that the turbo could disintegrate and send metal into your motor and destroy that also.

Of course thats just my opinion, and its your money and car. My EP3 was at 85000 miles when I turbo'd it, original motor, original timing chain, never opened, and I was running 470bhp and 310ftlb torque at 14psi. It never showed any signs of letting go, and went like **** off a stick.

If your looking at a bolt on kit that cost less than £2000, I wouldn't bother. Its cheap for a reason. Flimsy parts, probably won't make the gains your looking for, and it would always be in the back of my mind that the turbo could disintegrate and send metal into your motor and destroy that also.

Of course thats just my opinion, and its your money and car. My EP3 was at 85000 miles when I turbo'd it, original motor, original timing chain, never opened, and I was running 470bhp and 310ftlb torque at 14psi. It never showed any signs of letting go, and went like **** off a stick.

Yeah will definitely want a good one. How did you go about the turbo was it a bolt on kit.

Is there any kits your would personally recommend.

No mine was a custom made kit rated to 800bhp. I was only tickling it at 14psi.

In all honesty, I haven't e looked at bolt on kits for a long time, but I do know TDI North are still making thier drive in, drive out kits for I think £6k, I might be wrong about the price though. Although they do have a credit system in place. That kit I think, is everything including an Ecu and mapping.

Back