• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Clutch Problem

Hello guys

I currently have an 05 EP3 Type R with 92k Miles on the clock.

I am having problems changing gears at high RPM and is generally not very keen on going into gear, the bite point is also very low. However once in gear it doesn't slip at all and is perfectly fine pulling away in 2nd.

I'm thinking it is either the slave cylinder or the clutch master cylinder, based on these symptoms. What do you guys think it is?

Hope someone can help

Jake

How's the clutch pedal feel? It should be quite light, and the bite point close to the top of the stroke, not the bottom. If the pedal feels firm it's likely the clutch pressure plate (and you'll be due a replacement). Do you know when it was last replaced?

The bite point was low on mine and I could'nt get it to slip so I changed it and it was much better, even though it was not in that bad a condition.

Also worth changing clutch fluid and gearbox oil if you have not done so yet.

If problems still persist and its not going into gear then it maybe synchro related.

+1 to clutch, you may find that starting the car in gear with clutch pedal pressed in causes a little jolt occasionally.

How's the clutch pedal feel? It should be quite light, and the bite point close to the top of the stroke, not the bottom. If the pedal feels firm it's likely the clutch pressure plate (and you'll be due a replacement). Do you know when it was last replaced?

It feels almost spongy, i have bled the whole system with fresh DOT 4. The clutch hasn't been replaced yet, I was under the impress that these clutches were good for up to 120k?

The bite point was low on mine and I could'nt get it to slip so I changed it and it was much better, even though it was not in that bad a condition.

Also worth changing clutch fluid and gearbox oil if you have not done so yet.

If problems still persist and its not going into gear then it maybe synchro related.

Changed both clutch and gearbox and no improvement

+1 to clutch, you may find that starting the car in gear with clutch pedal pressed in causes a little jolt occasionally.

It does occasionally grind a little bit on start up when in gear and clutch down.

Unless its the master cylinder then I will replace everything anyway.

On another note, in your opinion what clutch would be best to go for, RPC stage 1 clutch or a Genuine Honda one? Both the same price

Last edited by a moderator:
It feels almost spongy, i have bled the whole system with fresh DOT 4. The clutch hasn't been replaced yet, I was under the impress that these clutches were good for up to 120k?

Sure, but that depends entirely on how it's been treated, assuming perfect boring driving then you may get 120k out of it. But what are the odds of that with a hot hatch? :)

Sure, but that depends entirely on how it's been treated, assuming perfect boring driving then you may get 120k out of it. But what are the odds of that with a hot hatch? :)

Haha very true :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on what new clutch to get?

General consensus is genuine honda. They can be had cheaply on ebay or from Hendy.

I used an exedy clutch, but the bearings are rumoured to become noisy quickly. But mine won't last very long now being supercharged, so I'll worry about that once it's died!

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight and help guys, much appreciated ;)

I'll just go with a full clutch replacement and new slave cylinder

New clutch. Changed my clutch last year, exactly the same symptoms and on 92,000 miles. Makes a big difference, nearly put my foot through the floor when the new clutch was fitted :D
Get a three piece oem clutch kit. Paid around £156. Fluid and fitting was another £300. Didn't need to change the slave cylinder.

Hi again

Im going to be changing my clutch this weekend hopefully with the help of a friend, first of does anyone have any tips for me? and 2nd, does the flywheel need to come off to replace the pilot shaft bearing?

Hope you can help, Thanks

Be a bit of a pig of a job without a ramp removing the subframe but around that it’s not too bad of a job mate. Are you talking about the input shaft bearing that your renewing?

Back