• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Almost an FK8 Owner

Hi,

Just joined the forum, but I’ve visited quite a few times and picked up lots of great information..

This is a request for help, as I am about to buy my first CTR. I have wanted one since the EP3 days and nearly 20 years later, I’m loving the FK8 and finally have the means to buy one!

I have found a 68 plate GT model, with 900 miles on the clock. I saw it last night, it looks good, drives well and I am very tempted. However, I am worried it has been in an accident and do not want to spend my money on something with that history. The car is at Motorpoint (I know!) and reg is WU68 VCP. Asking price is £28k.

Does anyone happen to know this vehicle and might be able to put my mind at rest.

Here is what I know:

Sold by Norton Way Honda Western Super Mare with service plan around September 2018
Change of owner 1/1/2019 – someone in Newton Abbot area (I think)
Acquired by Motorpoint late February
Damage on towing eye cover panel – it has been towed for some reason
Loose and poorly fitting plastic trim in engine bay along driver side wing
Line in lacquer where bumper meets wing on drivers side – appears to have been poorly masked off

Alarm bells are ringing about this car. Can’t understand how 2 different owners have done so few miles in such a great car.

What do you think?

I will be getting one, but I probably not this one.

Any advice for someone itching to buy?

Welcome,
I think you have answered your own question really, if alarm bells are ringing for you don't buy it!

Sounds like it has had some sort of bump, be patient and get a good one, especially if your spending that sort of money, you dont want regrets.

Welcome,
I think you have answered your own question really, if alarm bells are ringing for you don't buy it!

Sounds like it has had some sort of bump, be patient and get a good one, especially if your spending that sort of money, you dont want regrets.
+1

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I’m assuming you’ve done a HPI check? If it’s been in an accident and repaired under insurance it’ll be recorded, however with their reputation and the stuff you’ve mentioned I’d start to worry it’s too good to be true myself, if HPI hasn’t got it then, personally, I’d avoid it as you can’t trust them to be honest about how much of the history they know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great advice all round. I'm no expert, but they must know what they have. It was fairly obvious. Only went for the test drive, as they are so much fun to drive!

No record of accidents via HPI check.

All seems very strange, but absolutely not taking any risks.

Is there a list on the forum to advice other members?

My last sports car was an RX8, it didn't end well and i've been stuck with sensible family cars ever since.

Quite apart from the money, my wife will make me buy an SUV if the Type R doesn't work out

I'd walk away, that is a lot of money to drop on something with shady past. Plenty of FK8s in that price range now anyway, shouldn't be a problem to find a mint one :)

I'd walk away, that is a lot of money to drop on something with shady past. Plenty of FK8s in that price range now anyway, shouldn't be a problem to find a mint one :)

+1

You won’t struggle to get one for that price, albeit higher mileage but I personally wouldn’t class sub 18-20k as high mileage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

Just joined the forum, but I’ve visited quite a few times and picked up lots of great information..

This is a request for help, as I am about to buy my first CTR. I have wanted one since the EP3 days and nearly 20 years later, I’m loving the FK8 and finally have the means to buy one!

I have found a 68 plate GT model, with 900 miles on the clock. I saw it last night, it looks good, drives well and I am very tempted. However, I am worried it has been in an accident and do not want to spend my money on something with that history. The car is at Motorpoint (I know!) and reg is WU68 VCP. Asking price is £28k.

Does anyone happen to know this vehicle and might be able to put my mind at rest.

Here is what I know:

Sold by Norton Way Honda Western Super Mare with service plan around September 2018
Change of owner 1/1/2019 – someone in Newton Abbot area (I think)
Acquired by Motorpoint late February
Damage on towing eye cover panel – it has been towed for some reason
Loose and poorly fitting plastic trim in engine bay along driver side wing
Line in lacquer where bumper meets wing on drivers side – appears to have been poorly masked off

Alarm bells are ringing about this car. Can’t understand how 2 different owners have done so few miles in such a great car.

What do you think?

I will be getting one, but I probably not this one.

Any advice for someone itching to buy?

A guy on a BMW forum I use wrote a tool to check vehicle's shady past including write offs that are not recorded for several reasons. Some of the stories and pictures are truly shocking.

Check out: https://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=116085

Auto express article based on his findings: https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/106336/the-great-british-car-insurance-write-off-scandal

The problem you would have, imho, is that if you bought it, at the back of your mind you would have a constant, niggling worry about the car. As others have said, with that money, you could get a real cracker.

Thanks everyone.

I'm leaving that one well alone, bit gutted that I missed on a Polished Metal Grey one at Chiswick, while waiting to view the one at Motorpoint.

I'll take my time

I saw that one!

Its about 200 mile away, although conveniently, it's where I grew up. Might be able to combine with a visit to the family

I concur, my first FK8 (November 2017) was an ex-demo and after suffering all the gearbox issues I found myself regretting a lot that few grand saving and eagerness to get into the car (there was a 6 week wait from factory at the time).

if it was cheaper maybe you could take the "risk" but I'd say dig a bit deeper if you can and for a few k more and you've got be close to getting a brand spanker and then you know exactly how the car has been treat.

I saw that one!

Its about 200 mile away, although conveniently, it's where I grew up. Might be able to combine with a visit to the family

Not sure what the discounts are like at this time of the year but you can probably get a new one for 31-32k mark. While that is 3500-4000 above your budget, it might be worth doing that rather than potentially facing any issues from these other low milers. Just a thought :)

Whatever you decide, welcome to the red R club :p

RS direct had a PMM in for 28K from memory last week and that was tiny miles and that's gone

I am sure you have your alerts all set up so one will be along soon...

Can confirm that Howard's in Taunton are a good dealer. Bought my FK2 there in 2016 and just bought a Civic SE from there last month too. In fact I remember wandering around that FK8 while looking around. Seemed in good condition and don't remember anything that looked concerning with it. I wasn't looking in depth though with an eye to buy, but I'd say you should be able to trust the staff.

Can confirm that Howard's in Taunton are a good dealer. Bought my FK2 there in 2016 and just bought a Civic SE from there last month too. In fact I remember wandering around that FK8 while looking around. Seemed in good condition and don't remember anything that looked concerning with it. I wasn't looking in depth though with an eye to buy, but I'd say you should be able to trust the staff.

Bought mine from Howard’s Honda, Taunton. Excellent staff, very knowledgable and offered a test drive with me even asking.

Back