• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 New member looking for FK8 R

Hi All,

My name is David, Im new to the forum and currently looking to buy an FK8 2018 and up. Im from Cyprus and we do t have a lot of FK8s here. I know only 1 car:). Im planning to import one from UK since honda here doesnt have a test drive car or showroom car so a buyer can have a look for what he is going to pay 43k EUR.

Im planning to find few good examples and fly to UK to test them and buy. I have a budget of 25-27k £ for the car itself. If Brexit gets postponed ill be able to buy one and import since no one knows what will happen with export import after brexit.

I am planning to buy a used under 8k miles car from honda dealer in UK. Are there any dealers i should stay away from? What should i be looking for in terms of checking the car/history. I have never bought cars in UK. Im searching on autotraders, can you recommend any other website? I know only about gearbox issue on FK8s. I thought if i get 2018 and up there will be small chance of having the issue since honda might have fixed it in later models. Also, what are the main differences with facelift model of 2019? Is it wort extra £?
Im looking for red or CW model. Had a arctic blue DC5 before and love the type rs:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome ArmJoker - your English is better than most on here!!

Your desire for an R is admirable!! But are there not countries closer to you that would make the import easier?

In terms of 2018 vs 2019, you get a volume knob and physical buttons on the touch screen on the '19, but I think the screen is actually smaller as a result (maybe wrong). Anyway, I don't think the 2019 is worth it over the 18

In terms of Dealers, I highly recommend Chiswick who are a large one in London very near heathrow if that's where you come into the UK

Unfortunately the gear box issue is not fixed and its an absolute lottery in that respect, thats why the test drive will be important (but even then it can develop later of course). Should yours fail over in Cyprus, I cant imagine the nightmare it would be to get that resolved (its hrd enough being in the Uk where htey make the things..!) but dont let that put you off!!!

Cyprus is RHD, so UK is probably nearest. In years gone by people used to import Hondas the other way round due to cheaper RHD in Cyprus.

Thanks, well being ex colony of UK, Cyprus inherited the RHD:) so we have UK and Japan to import cars.

Since japan is not in EU import from there is a bit hard and costy thats why 70-80% is imported from UK. This will soon change after brexit i guess.
If there was an option to have a JDM type R, i wouldnt even hesitate and go for it , but unfortunately Honda is making type rs only in UK plant.

The problem in Cyprus is we have only 1 dealer for each brand and its absolute monopoly. They can charge anything they want.

Is the gearbox issue common? Does honda do anything about it? Im afraid even if i buy from official honda certified car, the dealer in cyprus will not provide guaranty for the car if **** hits the fan:)

good question... its a rumour of a yellow car with black roof inspired by that chap Honda Pro Jason (look him up, hours of fun)

It would still have the same gearbox though. Its a big gamble that one to be honest. Honda have replaced some over here, or given new cars or, as I was reading on Civinfo - flat refused to acknowledge it or do anything about it. As you'd be on your own over there, id get an RS3 mate for the money you will be spending on car plus importing it etc!!!

good question... its a rumour of a yellow car with black roof inspired by that chap Honda Pro Jason (look him up, hours of fun)

It would still have the same gearbox though. Its a big gamble that one to be honest. Honda have replaced some over here, or given new cars or, as I was reading on Civinfo - flat refused to acknowledge it or do anything about it. As you'd be on your own over there, id get an RS3 mate for the money you will be spending on car plus importing it etc!!!

I was looking at RS3, bmw 240i, 340i, but all have some king of issues and bills for this cars are much bigger when there are issues with them. I have a fate in honda:)
I know honda pro jason and his yellow car. Dont think honda will do it:) check out the FK8 hybrid system when they add 2 electric motors to it on back wills as add-on, and it becomes 4x4 monster.

Back