• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Buying an FK2 - What should I look for?

Hi everyone. I'm from New Zealand I have had an EK9 for around 12 years now which has been a fantastic car and I'm now considering purchasing a second hand FK2 which I would really appreciate your advice on.
The FK2 were never sold new in NZ and so it appears to be very rare here which is one of the reasons I like it.
This car was purchased new in the UK and then exported to NZ by it's first owner which from my understanding meant it would of received no warranty support from Honda NZ.
It's a 2016 model and has travelled only 5,500kms.
I've been reading up about everyone's good and bad experiences online but I'm trying to gauge how widespread the gearbox issue was and if there is anyway of checking for it.
If there's anything else you can advise I look / check for would be very much appreciated.
Thanks! :cool:

Hi NZ from NZ

Hi everyone. I'm from New Zealand I have had an EK9 for around 12 years now which has been a fantastic car and I'm now considering purchasing a second hand FK2 which I would really appreciate your advice on.
The FK2 were never sold new in NZ and so it appears to be very rare here which is one of the reasons I like it.
This car was purchased new in the UK and then exported to NZ by it's first owner which from my understanding meant it would of received no warranty support from Honda NZ.
It's a 2016 model and has travelled only 5,500kms.
I've been reading up about everyone's good and bad experiences online but I'm trying to gauge how widespread the gearbox issue was and if there is anyway of checking for it.
If there's anything else you can advise I look / check for would be very much appreciated.
Thanks! :cool:

I have an FK2 (one of the 750 Japan models which arrived here brand new (one of 5 x MY16 models in a batch with zero mileage)). I purchased it at only 60km on the clock in October 2017. At that stage there were no FK8s in NZ either. My car is now at 23000km and has had 2 x services by the local Honda dealer and I have had NO issues. They love the rarity and uniqueness of the car. I've had no gearbox dramas or lockouts or anything. Through the original set of Continental Tyres though; the NZ roads not kind to those !! The car is absolutely fantastic. I haven't driven an FK8 but reading here seems to offer a 'different' driving experience. The FK2 can be raw but as easy to drive (mine is a daily driver) as any other Japanese car. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. Run it on 98 Octane. Mileage is great. I did Tauranga to Auckland and Tauranga on 1/2 tank (6.1litres/100km) which included a couple of 'sprints'. Because mine came from Japan I had to source a new head unit. You probably won't have that as I think (?) the UK and NZ have the same band-widths. Your car will be a head-turner and certainly is in Tauranga (the only one here). Get the car checked out if you can (even if by Honda/ AA/...).

Good luck !

Be sure to go on an extended test drive to be sure it's right for you.

I drove an FK2 and an FK8 and was heavily disappointed. They are not as good as older Hondas.

I have an FK2 (one of the 750 Japan models which arrived here brand new (one of 5 x MY16 models in a batch with zero mileage)). I purchased it at only 60km on the clock in October 2017. At that stage there were no FK8s in NZ either. My car is now at 23000km and has had 2 x services by the local Honda dealer and I have had NO issues. They love the rarity and uniqueness of the car. I've had no gearbox dramas or lockouts or anything. Through the original set of Continental Tyres though; the NZ roads not kind to those !! The car is absolutely fantastic. I haven't driven an FK8 but reading here seems to offer a 'different' driving experience. The FK2 can be raw but as easy to drive (mine is a daily driver) as any other Japanese car. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. Run it on 98 Octane. Mileage is great. I did Tauranga to Auckland and Tauranga on 1/2 tank (6.1litres/100km) which included a couple of 'sprints'. Because mine came from Japan I had to source a new head unit. You probably won't have that as I think (?) the UK and NZ have the same band-widths. Your car will be a head-turner and certainly is in Tauranga (the only one here). Get the car checked out if you can (even if by Honda/ AA/...).

Good luck !
Hey Wattpilot. That's great to hear you've had a great run with yours and thanks for the advice.
Sounds like you were very lucky to get one of those... and with an NZ warranty too.
What color is yours.... is a GT or standard model?
Have you stuck with the Contisport 6 or have you switched to something else?
I recall the head unit had NZ stations displayed so I think that's all ok.
So far I've only tried it on a tiny test track so I've only had a sniff as to what it's really like.... never got past 3rd gear but I enjoyed the tightness and responsiveness.
As far as the FK2 getting attention... I think you're right.... that rear end stands out big time... I do like the shape... much better than the FK8 .... but I'm used to driving a type r that nobody takes any notice of... so that's a slight concern for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to go on an extended test drive to be sure it's right for you.

I drove an FK2 and an FK8 and was heavily disappointed. They are not as good as older Hondas.

Thanks Partyvan. Great advice which I'll certainly do.
I'll be holding onto the EK9 for a while even after I buy another just to be safe than sorry.
I could tell straight away that it's a completely different experience to my stock EK9.
I haven't tried the EP3, FN2 or FD2 so I can't compare with those.

Hey Wattpilot. That's great to hear you've had a great run with yours and thanks for the advice.
Sounds like you were very lucky to get one of those... and with an NZ warranty too.
What color is yours.... is a GT or standard model?
Have you stuck with the Contisport 6 or have you switched to something else?
I recall the head unit had NZ stations displayed so I think that's all ok.
So far I've only tried it on a tiny test track so I've only had a sniff as to what it's really like.... never got past 3rd gear but I enjoyed the tightness and responsiveness.
As far as the FK2 getting attention... I think you're right.... that rear end stands out big time... I do like the shape... much better than the FK8 .... but I'm used to driving a type r that nobody takes any notice of... so that's a slight concern for me.

Hey Beaglebass
Sorry I should right a wrong - economy wasn't THAT good at 6.1 ... was 6.9L/100km (Still great though)
Mine is Championship White. The dealer had 4 white ones and one black. I was actually interested in the black one which went between my first look and when I went back to buy it !! In saying that I am really happy with the white. It is a non-GT. I recall someone on here stating that only non-GT went to Japan. I didn't stick with ContiSport 6 tyres as they were about $600 each and at the rate they chewed through I'd be a set a year as a daily driver. I can't recall the specific tyre on there now Falken 'somethings' which are providing excellent wear and good day-to-day grip (I'm not tracking the car anyway). I like the shape too (my kids call it the 'spaceship' or 'missile'). You WILL certainly be noticed !! From what I know in Tauranga there is my one FK2 and a white FK8 and a black FK8 and that is it. I've only otherwise seen one red FK8 in Auckland in all my travels so rare is an understatement. I've never owned a Honda before so can't comment on the old-school VTEC but the turbo on the FK2 just comes in and keeps going; you feel the pull, even, progressive and you just keep getting faster and faster. Effortless accelleration. It just feels like it can keep doing it all day. I agree with the other comment - drive it, get used to it and if it feels right ..... buy it. Good luck

6.9l/100km is really good... my EK9 is similar to that.
Championship White's a great colour... the quintessential type R. Black FK2 looks amazing but the way black shows up scratches and dirt would annoy me. The one I'm looking at is the metallic silver... which I like and doesn't stand out quite as much.
Re: Conti 6. Changing sounds like a good move. FYI; I found supercheap auto is selling tyres conti 6 through this website company on their website form $387 each. I don't know anything about them but should be legit. https://tyres.supercheapauto.co.nz/tyre/continental/235-35-r19/?s=relevance&d=desc&price=0-0
There are a couple of FK8's around my way and I've seen one White FK2 at the local sports fields... certainly stands out from other cars. Looks great.
'The missle' .... what a great name :lol:
I think the main difference character wise that I noticed between the FK2 and my old school EK9 is that the FK2 has that wider power band with the additional low end torque and power from the turbo.
EK9 is nowhere near as fast as the FK2... but the sound and feeling when VTEC changes is cool.
Ek9 is very jekel and hyde. Nothing happens up till 6000rpm then it kicks in and immediatly goes nuts... The trick is keeping it above 6000rpm to keep the power on so it requires careful gear selection or else it's get's bogged down when off VTEC.
Tis fun but to go fast you are always ringing it's nuts off! :lol:

Back