• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 Newbie with a DC2 - B series engine swap from other models

Hi All,

I have recently brought a UK DC2 minus engine, box (basically running gear) and wanted some advice/clarification on how best to proceed with various scenarios of dropping in different engines

I am still quite new to the Honda scene having only owned one EG LSI, MB6 VTI and a DC2 which I blew up in 2 days of owning around 10 years ago , however have owned and worked on stuff like Skylines (R32-R34’s), Supra, soarer and Evo’s so I’m ** be fine, however I may not be aware of some the terminology in the Honda world so bear with me!

Things I’ve learnt about my UK DC2:

1) The engine harness has OB2a connectors, however the ECU connectors are OBD1 ‘style’ connectors

2) Unlike an EK/EM1 the DC2/MB6/EG the engine loom terminates at the strut towers…. EK/EM1 engine looms run from the engine through the bulkhead and connect directly to the interior loom/ECU

Option 1
B16A2 from an EK which I believe would be OBD2A?
Since I won’t be able to use the EK loom (as it runs directly to the ECU and not the strut towers) Would the MB6 B18c4 loom suffice?
Or would I need to use a OEM UK DC2 loom OB2A to run the B16A2?
In either scenario which ECU would be best to use?

Option 2
B16A2 from EG/CR-X which I believe is OBD1?
Although the EG (not sure about CR-X) has a similar loom lay out to the DC2/MB6 i.e loom connects by strut its OB1, so my question is will the EG loom connect fine with the DC2 end at the strut tower? ( any re-pinning needed?)
From an ECU perspective since the DC2 has OBD1 ‘style’ connectors would an OEM EG ECU connect and work fine?

Option 3
B18c4 from MB6 VTI which I believe is OBD2A?
Since the MB6 loom runs in the same way as a DC2/EG I assume I can install this and just connect it at the struts to the remaining OEM DC2 loom?
Since the ECU connectors are OBD1 style, am I right in a assuming the standard P9K ECU can be used providing the immobiliser has been deleted?

Thanks in advance!

Waj

While I can't help you with the issues listed above, I would just like to pipe up and tell you to stop delaying the inevitable and throw a K20 in there instead. :lol:

Oh, and welcome to the forum Waj.

I've done option 3 on a uk dc2. I've got a build thread in the members car section.

I wouldn't bother with a b16 a b18c4 will be a much better swap.

I had a aerodeck vti with the b18c4, I fitted that engine and box. engine straight in ect no wiring mods. I just got a cheap obd2a to odb1 adapter and ran a p28 with a b18c4 map on it. I tried removing the immobiliser from the P9K ecu but the car wouldn't run when I tried it so maybe I missed something when doing that.

I've done option 3 on a uk dc2. I've got a build thread in the members car section.

I wouldn't bother with a b16 a b18c4 will be a much better swap.

I had a aerodeck vti with the b18c4, I fitted that engine and box. engine straight in ect no wiring mods. I just got a cheap obd2a to odb1 adapter and ran a p28 with a b18c4 map on it. I tried removing the immobiliser from the P9K ecu but the car wouldn't run when I tried it so maybe I missed something when doing that.

Ah ok so b18c4 it is I think... im still abit confused about the whole jumper harness situaition? I understand that I can use the Mb6 engine loom since its OBD2a and that it connects perfectly at the suspension turrents, however inside the car the connectors that connect to the ECU themselves are OBD1 'style' (but actually OBD2a engine end).... so would I require an obd2a to odb1 adapter if the ecu connectors are OBD1 style..surely these would plug into a P28 ECU which is OBD1? (sorry if this is a stupiddddd question...im still learning!)

Ah ok so b18c4 it is I think... im still abit confused about the whole jumper harness situaition? I understand that I can use the Mb6 engine loom since its OBD2a and that it connects perfectly at the suspension turrents, however inside the car the connectors that connect to the ECU themselves are OBD1 'style' (but actually OBD2a engine end).... so would I require an obd2a to odb1 adapter if the ecu connectors are OBD1 style..surely these would plug into a P28 ECU which is OBD1? (sorry if this is a stupiddddd question...im still learning!)

In the mb6 vti the ecu connectors are wired like the obd1 plugs are yeah, but in the uk dc2 you should have obd2a plugs as you will not be using the interior loom of the mb6. The interior loom incorporates the ecu wiring. As the engine loom only goes as far as the strut towers like you mentioned above. So yeah if you want to run a mapable p28/p30 ecu you need an adapter harness to adapt the dc2 car interior loom from obd2a to obd1. If you need an ecu socketed or a base map I can help you out with these.

Back