• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Removing rear subframe bar in engine bay behind engine

https://www.lingshondaparts.com/par...modelid/9814/block/17S5T501/blockref/B__4800/

Hi guys , I’m thinking of removing the following part so I can replace with new or clean up and repaint listed on lings Honda ( above link ) it’s part number 9 which is the front subframe bar behind the engine, mines looking pretty rusty and in bad shape,
Has anyone removed or replaced this? Is it hard to do? I can see there’s two large bolts either side but is there also some small bolts holding it to a heat shield too?
Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks in advance.

These do seem to rust pretty bad. if I was planning to replace it I would give the bolt heads and area around them a good wire brush to remove loose bits and give them a good soak in wd40/rc90 ect, maybe even spray them a few times leading up to when you are planning to start the job.

Yeah I was going to start spraying them this weekend with wd40 and soaking them a few times before removing In a couple of weeks.

I removed mine last year due to refreshing my steering rack slider and inner/outer track rods. It was a bit rusty at either end but there were no holes in it due to rust so i just gave it a scrub with a wire brush and a coat of paint on either end then put it back on. The heatshield is also bolted to it in the middle of the bar.

I will say that where the heads of the bolts for it were packed full of dirt and grime on both sides. I actually struggled to find the bolts at first and it took me longer to get it all out just to get a socket on them than it did to remove the 4 bolts. I had to use a bolt extractor on the heads for two bolts on one side due to rust but the threads had no corrosion on them so the came out easy enough.

Im thinking of investing in a decent battery impact wrench / driver , as I do a lot of work my self and the bolts are always a nightmare to undo or end up snapping. It’s All part of owning an ep3 I guess ;)

I also do 90% of the work on my EP3 myself and i think i have only had a couple of small 10mm bolt heads shearing in the 11 and a half years working on it. Rounding off bolt heads due to rust is the main problem i have had recently.

Not sure on the best makes of impact drivers but milwaukee get good reviews. The right angled drivers look ideal for working on the motor.

I agree rounding the heads is the common problem. I will check out some reviews on the impact drivers and will probably buy one. Cheers

I agree rounding the heads is the common problem. I will check out some reviews on the impact drivers and will probably buy one. Cheers

If you haven't got a good sized compressor and are looking at battery ones I can recommend the Ingersol rand 1/2" battery guns. I've had mine must be about 4-5 years now and its a beast. I can only remember seized s2000 front subframe bolts it couldn't get out and they were well in there! I've heard the Milwaukee ones are good but I've not actually used them before. They can be expensive but they are a time saver and I always thought after I completely rebuilt the rear suspension setup on my Celica GT4 that it had earned back what it costs after that job.

Back