• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Rust! Anybody no? Rust

Just noticed the rust on my EP3 erupting up the rear 3/4, up underneath the bonnet, inside the tailgate and rear arches on the CTR. As for the underside that's best not spoken about.

It seems to of exploded recently and really taken hold of the car. The cars kept inside and clean and doesn't really do many miles either so cant work out why its rusting so fast

Just wondering if anyone else's car is going crusty too?

So it's a 14 year old car, have you had the underside treated with any anti rust paint?

Nope! Just more curious as to the state of other peoples, to be fair mines hardly a good example its been trashed by the previous million owners just noticed over the past few months its really degraded fast.

Shame really the engine and gearbox are brilliant

Think at that age they will all be similar unless they have been rust treated. Especially after a winter where the roads have been salted heavily.

You'll likely see a few people here (SK-R comes to mind, maybe Flashy too?) have ground/sanded down existing rust, then re-sprayed with protective coatings on the underside of their cars (and in some cases the arches too)

I was tempted to have a go at that on mine but in the area on the rear 3/4 on the drivers side at the door shut line mines just started going mad and that's not an area i fancy attacking with a grinder and respraying when that panel shows signs of previous welding and spraying as it is, combined with the other panels that are rotting inside out i think it would be a wasted effort on my EP.

Its either going to rot inside out and have its heart removed or go into a crash barrier over the summer me thinks :)

A good bodywork mechanic would probably charge £400 - £500 to do full repair and spray. Depends if you’re planning on keeping it a while.

If that's the case it might be worth looking into. This summer is make or break for the civic i'm going to track it as much as i can and see how i feel come the end of august all being well i am going to sink some money into it making the structure and under body able to last a good few more years. It might not look pretty but it will be durable at least.

Kinda nice to see other peoples are rusting up too this is the oldest and highest mileage car I've ever owned, and the most neglected it has to be said.

A good bodywork mechanic would probably charge £400 - £500 to do full repair and spray. Depends if you’re planning on keeping it a while.

You don't get much rust repair and paint work for that sort of money. Not a long lasting repair anyway.

Is your garage heated at all? If not if you put the car in when it's wet it'll make matter worse.

The car was first from Scotland which i'm gonna guess is what has killed it from the get go, add to that and the amount of damage the cars taken over the years along with p**s poor repairs just hasn't helped it at all.

Once owned a volvo that came from scotland the underside was shot to pieces ended up getting bunged back at the dealer asap!

The garage isn't heated but my BMW which i have owned for longer hasn't rusted up at all (will go down in the morning and the door will drop off now).

Both are kept clean and i avoid taking the civic out n the rain purely because of the leaking 3rd brake light i'm yet to fix

Mine is quite rusty underneath and inside edges the rear wheel arches. Garage quoted me £700 to strip, grind and treat the underneath and behind the rear bumper too as the hanger brackets are have also succumbed, but that's 200K miles in 15 years, and driving in all weathers for you.

The Germans seem to put more paint on the things they build.

58442196_10157228961144588_904158325967421440_n.jpg

Not sure if this image has worked but this is the rust on the rear 3/4 near the drivers door, spent my Easter Sunday hiding from the family :)

Would Kurust or Rust Remedy followed by a top coat help? I've used it on previous cars.

I used kurust and chassis paint on mine the weekend I’m happy with it tbh the arches are solid and sills are real good too I just went over any patches with kurust then painted it all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for the lack of updated had a fair bit on at work.

Progress update - the rust on the rear 3/4 drivers side panel has been sorted sanded it right back down used a rust inhibiting primer and panted it back up, it looks OK but not the best passes the 5 ft test

The underside has been attacked with wire brushes and death wheels taking as much of the surface rust and treating the deeper stuff in the process this has now been fully under sealed in an attempt to slow the demise of the shed.

This weekend will be spent sanding back the rear arches and using the rust primer and remainder of my NHB spray to tidy up

Thats it then as far as i am willing to go at least needs a new tailgate, front bumper and bonnet to look more respectable and personally i like the fact my CTR is rough around the edges gives it that whole "crap box but runs sweet" vibe

Mine at 43K looks fine on the top but quite a different story underneath. Just spent 1/2 a day cutting the lower rear shocks off.

Back