• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 First Service (A plus Oil and Filter) and a question...

So my car had its first service (I paid for the service pack).

It still had 1400 miles to go on the oil count down and the car never 'told' me it needed a service. The dealer emailed inviting me to bring the car in and true enough it was a year since I got it. So far so good although shouldn't the car have announced the need for an inspection? I figured 1400 miles early was neither here nor there and in my favour.

Now despite being told Type Rs use a specific 'Honda' 0W20 oil they filled it with Shell Helix 0W20. I am pretty sure that doesn't make any difference just curious why a main dealer would say it's a specific oil then put a different oil in.. Most odd.

Also they didn't seem to understand or could not adequately explain to me the difference in the 12 month / 12500 v condition base servicing. I must say I find the system a bit mixed up too.

Other than these factoids the service was fine.

However my question is: why does my oil service counter now show a series of dashes _____ instead of an oil life/miles remaining? I have driven about 400 miles since the service and it still just says OIL _____ (and now B service underneath - that was A service before the service just carried out). I am confused again.

It seems all over the place to me!

I cant help with most of your post (sure others can!)...but I would like to know how many miles they took your car on a test drive?

the service counter showing "--------" is common after a service. happens on a lot of cars, as the vehicle is assessing the way you are driving the vehicle to calculate when your next service is due. drive it hard it might say 8000 miles, drive like my pensioner on a sunday run to church it might say 100,000 (or more likely 12,000). It might take 300-400 miles to figure out when your next service is needed which based on your first year of ownership will likely occur in March/April 2020 :)

my Honda dealer gave me a 1 litre top up bottle. it's 0W20 Petronas Syntium 7000 and told me it's what all Honda CTR are filled with. go figure!

If you were showing A and now B then I'm 100% certain you're on the12 month service plan,
Oil isn't an issue as some dealers do use the helix as it was recommended to owners on release of the FK2 as the oil Honda had made wasn't publicly available for some time.
I don't understand why they don't use Honda type 2 oil in services as they'll be the first to use it against the customer come warranty claim

Posted on here before but taken from civinfo,

Variable servicing activated should look like this on the dash,

As per the Owners manual you should see the list of items A or B, 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc on the top right and then have the list of items to scroll through the icons.

svrs.JPG

Yes my thoughts about the oil exactly : not a problem if it suits 'them' but a potential wriggle if one of 'us' decides to switch. Mind you I bet they'd be hard pressed to take that all the way if the oil has the right spec and is changed at right intervals.

My service record is however pretty clear that the oil monitoring at least is active and the count down (which was not going to get to 12500) backs that up. I'm still puzzled that the car never 'bonged' and said service due soon. My old E46's were so much more logical! dash showed service soon, take for MoT (vehicle check) and brake fluid interval- all based on either milage or time. Simples!

BMW used to struggle with the correct oil for the M3 at some dealers but it really did matter then as the S54 needed 10W60 or it could lunch the bearings.

Back