• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 What did you do to your EP3 today?

I tried to get the cat off today, and fit the used one I bought, but I gave up at the first nut. The spanner just spun on it, and rounded the whole thing down. Everything is so rusted, that I have no chance of doing this on my own. I'll take it to a garage, hopefully this week, and finally get rid of the chirping noise.

I’ve had to cut off many bolts on mine, so invested in a multi tool like below. There brilliant and a must have for rusted rounded off Honda nuts. I had the same issue with my cat heat shield so cut off the nuts and took the cover off. I haven’t replaced it and it’s been fine for years.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4822174

Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you buy a decent set of proper sockets, not the 12 point ones but a regular perfect hex. It makes a huge difference since it limits the ability for things to round off.

So yesterday and today I was just fettling around the EP3 but fitted a Spoon gearknob, Spoon oil cap and started replacing some rusty bolts with the Tegiwa engine bay bolt kit. Really need to get cracking and paint the rocker cover.

Got some eibach springs coming, been wondering if I should change the shocks at the same time. There's nothing wrong with them but they must be original, so 13 years old. Recommendations or if it ain't broke etc?

Got some eibach springs coming, been wondering if I should change the shocks at the same time. There's nothing wrong with them but they must be original, so 13 years old. Recommendations or if it ain't broke etc?

I do not have any personal experience in the matter, but some people way smarter than me said, that one should not put lowering springs on worn out shocks. Get the shocks renewed, then fit the lowering springs, they said. 8-[

I do not have any personal experience in the matter, but some people way smarter than me said, that one should not put lowering springs on worn out shocks. Get the shocks renewed, then fit the lowering springs, they said. 8-[

This is true. Old shocks will only wear quicker once you've put your lower springs on. I'd wait until you want to replace the shocks too, or go the whole hog and replace with fresh shocks.

Got my first ep3 last Thursday hand painted my callipers Sunday going to be underselling it Saturday.
I am so pleased with so far:D

cf48ab171dfeeb7c069e41d03f9d0f93.jpg

95f5d52a22df43f0813bcf38303fc8ae.jpg

40de9c9b3982c56a0ad31de14ca2f6e2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Fitted an Injen pre-filter hydroshield to my Injen intake. Maybe I was worrying unnecessarily as even though we've had some strong sudden downpours the filter was clean as a whistle and drier than an Australian forest. Oh well pre-filter on which should help keep the filter clean. Car still drives well with the new intake.

So over the weekend I undersealed my ep3 took bumpers and skirts off put it on axle stands gave everything a go over with a wire brush then used some kurust on all the rust patches which tbh weren’t that bad then painted it all in black chassis paint also filled the sills with wax oil to try and prolong the life of my car as much as possible I was please as the rust wasn’t out of control I think I caught it at the right time I’m rubbish with before and after pictures so didn’t get many good ones
d8ada1a0f739d1071155ab17ee7f5819.jpg
106b4ca4d97573597b5265c778fed4ee.jpg
d2c23f6ba96dc9e84f003fa884dc480f.jpg
c686e2aaf9767f3e65ff4e3dab9424a3.jpg
ab790013e34fb5a13412aa3b6d263926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fitted an Injen pre-filter hydroshield to my Injen intake. Maybe I was worrying unnecessarily as even though we've had some strong sudden downpours the filter was clean as a whistle and drier than an Australian forest. Oh well pre-filter on which should help keep the filter clean. Car still drives well with the new intake.

Glad to hear that mate, good to know, that the ECU adjusted itself finally. As for the hydro shield, I have one aswell, but would not try to go anywhere without it. I heard a scary tale about bent con rods from someone on the forum. Better safe, than sorry.

I just learned, that the stock P28 ECU cannot be mapped. I would need an aftermarket one, like the Hondata K100. However, my VTEC engages later, than stock, so does the rev limiter. The source is very reliable, search for "killer-bee honda" on youtube :) If this is true, I think I have some kind of aftermarket ECU, but in the stock box, because when I checked it, it was the stock Honda box. When I was only looking to buy the car, this kept me thinking for a long time, the previous owner couldn't tell me, why it felt like it was mapped. Guys, I might just have hit a goldmine. I'm gonna check tomorrow, gonna take the whole box out and take the cover off.

I just learned, that the stock P28 ECU cannot be mapped. I would need an aftermarket one, like the Hondata K100. However, my VTEC engages later, than stock, so does the rev limiter. The source is very reliable, search for "killer-bee honda" on youtube :) If this is true, I think I have some kind of aftermarket ECU, but in the stock box, because when I checked it, it was the stock Honda box. When I was only looking to buy the car, this kept me thinking for a long time, the previous owner couldn't tell me, why it felt like it was mapped. Guys, I might just have hit a goldmine. I'm gonna check tomorrow, gonna take the whole box out and take the cover off.
A hondata is a piggyback ecu fitted into the standard ecu box.

You could be lucky and find a k100 board already fitted. If so, that's a result. Depending on what you want to do with the car obviously!

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

A hondata is a piggyback ecu fitted into the standard ecu box.

You could be lucky and find a k100 board already fitted. If so, that's a result. Depending on what you want to do with the car obviously!

First of all I just want to set the VTEC to 5600, and the rev limiter to about 8500-8600, whatever is safe. Second, I want to optimize the mapping, now that I have a CAI and an exhaust.

Yes, 6800 instead of 5800. Who, with a functioning mind would set the VTEC higher?! It is very annoying in day to day life, having to wait forever, until the big cam comes on.
The changeover point is set to when the high cam makes more power than the low cam, so can very a lot on different engines/mods. Let the tuner set the vtec as the best point it can work at. I've not heard of any benefit of having it set at a higher rpm and can't see how a near standard engine would benefit from it.

That must be painful to keep on the power!

Back