• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 What did you do to your EP3 today?

I've not heard of any benefit of having it set at a higher rpm and can't see how a near standard engine would benefit from it.

Exactly my thoughts. I bought the car as a daily, and to have fun on mountain twisties, and the occasional track day. If I shift up below 8700 indicated, I fall out off VTEC, completely ruining the fun and the pace. The engine is stock, the only mods are the exhaust and the CAI. Someone said a few days back, that power falls off earlier, so there's no point in revving it so high without additional mods. People and their stupidity... If I try to see the bigger picture: vtec late, rev limiter late, lambo doors, wider track on the rear only... I think this car was used as a showoff, to be thrashed in the straight and nothing else. Sad fate for an EP3 if you ask me, the opposite of my taste.

Yes, 6800 instead of 5800. Who, with a functioning mind would set the VTEC higher?! It is very annoying in day to day life, having to wait forever, until the big cam comes on.
I would be suspecting a misbehaving sensor rather then a miracle aftermarket ECU. Remember the ep was the first car to have i-vtec which had a v-tec range based on oil pressure and throttle position with 6800/7000 potentially being the upper end of the range IMO from memory.

I would be suspecting a misbehaving sensor rather then a miracle aftermarket ECU. Remember the ep was the first car to have i-vtec which had a v-tec range based on oil pressure and throttle position with 6800/7000 potentially being the upper end of the range IMO from memory.

I can follow your logic on this one. A few questions come to mind: if the sensor was faulty, wouldn't it result in a check engine light? Or wouldn't the faulty sensor make the VTEC engage at different revs every time? And if it had a VTEC range, not an engagement point, it should engage at different points, based on what you wrote? At the beginning I thought the problem was the leaking vtec solenoid gasket, but that turned out to be false.

I can absolutely follow you, I'm just trying to understand what the problem might be.

And if the VTEC is sorted, what about the rev limit? With a stock ECU, it should be much lower. Can a faulty sensor result in both being higher? The engine might sense, that it's at lower revs, than it really is? Yes, I know, too many questions, I'm just really interested to know what is causing all this.

If I can find the strength, I might take the ECU out today and take a look.

The rev gauge isn't the most accurate, especially at higher rpm.

Yes, I read a big argument on this in another thread, the conclusion was anywhere around a 400 RPM sufficit. I have 9500 indicated, that's not a small deviation :D And it sounds higher, than any EP3 I've heard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting back to the subject, I washed , clay barred and polished both my Ep3 and FN2.
On my FN2 I used my new dodo juice dual action polisher with auto finesse triple polish, it came up great and was pleased with the results.

Attachments

• 03E10F69-0E0B-4D7A-8E15-887173BCCA80.jpeg
    03E10F69-0E0B-4D7A-8E15-887173BCCA80.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 1F173203-CDD0-4928-AEA5-E4324448E65C.jpeg
    1F173203-CDD0-4928-AEA5-E4324448E65C.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 22
I can follow your logic on this one. A few questions come to mind: if the sensor was faulty, wouldn't it result in a check engine light? Or wouldn't the faulty sensor make the VTEC engage at different revs every time? And if it had a VTEC range, not an engagement point, it should engage at different points, based on what you wrote? At the beginning I thought the problem was the leaking vtec solenoid gasket, but that turned out to be false.

I can absolutely follow you, I'm just trying to understand what the problem might be.

And if the VTEC is sorted, what about the rev limit? With a stock ECU, it should be much lower. Can a faulty sensor result in both being higher? The engine might sense, that it's at lower revs, than it really is? Yes, I know, too many questions, I'm just really interested to know what is causing all this.

If I can find the strength, I might take the ECU out today and take a look.
Either way is odd. But I don't see why someone would incredibly lightly mod an EP3 then raise the VTEC. Or if they stripped the mods why the wouldn't get a cheap stock ECU from a breaker and get it flashed back by honda.

I was thinking if it can't read throttle position it's just knocking over the VTEC over at the fixed final change over point everytime. Although you would think it would ping an ECL. It's hard to say as I've not had an EP3 for years and I can't remember where they redline, or what would affect that.

It'll take you 10 mins to remove the ecu then just open it up and put this to bed!,

It all doesn't quite add up, so hopefully it isn't a type s with type r clocks that don't tally on the rpm dial!

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Cleaned my seats using diluted woolite as recommended by recaro, so chuffed with how they have came out

39c628e971888830ced077d8f938c823.jpg
2fdb7ec2b270983453bcfc04146e0f06.jpg
78b3293fc54189aa8bb7c150090e3e81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look fantastic. What is diluted woolite?

It’s washing machine detergent you can get it from Tesco Morrison’s or anywhere like that. Cost me £3 I diluted it at 1 part woolite to 6 parts water as recaro recommend and then used a spray bottle to apply it, it’s great stuff there is a video on YouTube if you search how to clean ep3 seats

ac330c902c750ed70d3b5f939238f11d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will try and get the car running again today, with the help of an electric guy. Yesterday, arriving at a grocery shop, the ABS light was flashing in uneven intervals, and the power steering cut out a few times while parking. After shopping, the car was totally dead, 0 electricity. Might be a short circuit, faulty battery.. we'll see.

Put some fuel in it and put it back in the garage. For sale ads went up today... sad days

Aah no worries man. I’ve been in that boat too previously and had to wait until last month before I got my EP3. Wish you all the best.

Back