• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 What did you do to your EP3 today?

I know, so glad it was just the windscreen, no other damage was done,

Apparently there have been a few incidents where I'm from lately I would love to get my hands on them.

Thank god it wasn't the day before as I would have been taking the baby to creche, not in the ep3 though in the Jazz.

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

Could have been much more serious, it could have caused an accident or even worse, hope they got caught soon mate

Cheers guys, yeah it could have been loads worse, could have been a terrible accident etc,

Hey ho, new windscreen hopefully Wednesday.

Yeah I will have a look, to be fair rust wise the car is incredibly good for its age even underneath when I last undersealed it.

Anyone used Hardrace engine mounts? The innovate 65a ones I currently have cause far too much vibrations for me.

So windscreen was fitted today yay, looking good again didnt take it out today as I had my baby girl but sure it'll be fine.
Poor guys fitting it in this heat though, sweating buckets but big shout out to them guys from National Windscreens. Had a look out for rust etc while it was out and all is solid not one sign of any rust.

The past 2 days were about research and ordering. I found a reputable guy, who can sand blast my alloys, and a company, who will paint them white. I borrowed a set of wheels from my mate, so the car will be parked on those until my wheels are done. I also found a guy, who does chassis and paint work, so the chips and bruises, and some rust will disappear soon. In the meantime my front wishbone front bushes have arrived, so I will get them fitted next week, and do a wheel alignement.

Today I ordered:
- EBC yellowstuff pads for all corners
- 3 bottles of EBC 5.1 brake fluid
- black and red wheel hub caps
- Goodridge braided brake lines

Put some jdm goodness on the car. Makes a good improvement to handling and driving in general. I had a brace before but with the stiffer walled tyres I had at the time I didn't notice as much difference.

Attachments

• 20190726_182341-3024x1395.jpg
    20190726_182341-3024x1395.jpg
    572.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20190726_200631-2016x930.jpg
    20190726_200631-2016x930.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 45
I took my car to have the wheels refurbished. Got a call, just before I set off to collect it at the suggested time, saying that they couldn't get the paint off so they'd need it for another day!
Not had the EP3 for long and have to say that nothing I have either worked on myself, or had others do for me, has proved to go smoothly.
Are these such a difficult car to maintain?
My wife is on her second Jazz in 15 years, neither has needed anything other MOT and a service each year, while everything I touch on the Type-R turns into a nightmare!
As an example, the headlights were going yellow and faded so I replaced both headlights with new OEM parts. The nearside light developed some sort of contamination on the inside of the lens so had it replaced under warranty, though at first I was told it wasn't covered as I had fitted it! The replacement light is now showing the same contamination, the off side light being fine.
This is just a sample of the last 4 weeks.
Much more and it'll be for sale!

You've got a car that's at least 13 years old, things will go wrong. It's actually not a difficult car to work on. Were the replacement lights oem?

Yes, the lights were bought on-line from a Honda dealer. The off side lights is fine but I'm just about to go through the hassle of getting the near side one replaced again!
I have worked on my own cars for 40 years and have never experienced so many problems, each time I do something to this car!
Another example, one of the front shocks had play in the slider though not yet leaking. As it was 13 years old and had 63k under its belt I replaced both with new OEM. When I did the work, the nuts on the track rod ends were not castellated though the split pins were fitted. My scissor balljoint splitter didn't fit so had to use the fork one, shock did not work. This meant the track rod ends needed replacing as the boots got damaged. The new one, when fitted using a torque wrench, knocked over bumps. It took 3 attempts before they stopped knocking! Same torque, off this site, each time and it moved on the first 2. Further, the supplied castellated nuts did not reach the hole in the thread so I had to add washers under the nuts.
Not to mention excess rear camber that is not fixed by genuine camber arms and bushes, recommended drop links that are a poor fit and pretty much everything I touch revealing other issues.
The lights though, I bought genuine ones to save any problems with pattern parts, how wrong could I be! Honda parts are obviously not the quality item they are cut up to be.
Spent the last 20 years with VW's, when something needed repairing, it was all that was needed. They're not that reliable but never hid anything either!
My son's Mini lost a supercharger recently, you need to take all the front of the car off to fix it, but it all went without a hitch and that's 13 years old too.
Thus far, the EP3 has been a living nightmare with no sign of an end.

Sorry to hear about your problems, it really is surprising to me, that an EP3 is behaving like this. One of the main reasons I bought an EP3, and not something else, is the legendary Honda reliability. By my experience, albeit only 6 months, the car is holding together nicely, which is nice to see, considering it wasn't looked after that well. I hardly have a fraction of your experience working on cars, but everything I've done so far went smoothly enough, maybe took longer, due to me being slow.

I hope things do get better with your EP3, maybe you just need some time to get to know each other, and get rid of the previous owners' "heritage".

maybe you just need some time to get to know each other, and get rid of the previous owners' "heritage".

I think you're right. The other Honda cars I have experience of have been reliable to the point they never needed anything but regular servicing. Once I get the car in good order, it should be just as reliable as any other Honda car, it's only a Civic with an uprated drivetrain when all said and done!

Strange one this, I'm on my third EP3 and they have been fine, relatively easy to work on.

I service my car myself like yourself and jobs I cant do a good friend of mine does it and I help out, when using genuine parts I have found them to be good quality and fitting has always been perfect fit etc.

The only problems come from bloody rusty seized bolts etc.

They are getting older now and some people say they have looked after their cars but one persons opinion can differ greatly from anothers. Maybe yours have had a rough previous life. Obviously I dont know the circumstances but genuine OEM parts have always been quality and perfect fit for me.

When looking for one for a friend, the ones that were advertised as 'mint' were far from it, but the owners really thought they were quality examples. But once you get it all sorted you may have a good example then. Take your time to get to know the car.

Im opposite to you, German cars for me are quite over rated. Ones I've seen, worked on etc have been not the quality I expected etc. Each to their own though.

Hope you get the issues sorted.

I think you're right. The other Honda cars I have experience of have been reliable to the point they never needed anything but regular servicing. Once I get the car in good order, it should be just as reliable as any other Honda car, it's only a Civic with an uprated drivetrain when all said and done!

Well, there's much more to it, than the drivetrain, but I understand what you mean. It's not some crazy exotic marque, it's a Honda, and from Jazz to NSX, they are all bulletproof.

Back