Home
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clicking (Not squeaking) Clutch pedal when warm, but not cold

Ah!

I've realised my misunderstanding. "Element" is not a component part of the master cylinder mentioned. It's a model of a Honda! Doh!

So the CMC i'm interested in, is "46920-SNA-A03". But would this fit a non-Type R variant Honda Civic as it is (and therefore Honda are not dealing with this issue for the Type R in their bulletin), or am I correct in suggesting you're expected to do surgery on your existing Type R CMC (or a new one of course) and this other variant mentioned, and transplant the piston over on to the one to fit to the Type R?

Another thing i noticed about their bulletin. They mention use of DOT3 brake fluid for the clutch system. I've always used DOT4 (it's still compatible with DOT3). Can I presume that everyone else is also using DOT4 in their cars? I think it's quite difficult to find DOT3, and it has a lower boiling point than DOT4, hence the reason to use DOT4 over DOT3.

In fact. I'm obviously only waking up now.

On the right hand side of the bulletin, they mention the failed part. Part number "46920-SNA-A02". The advised replacement is "46920-SNA-A03". This would lead me to the conclusion that 02 is replaced with 03 but the overall designed layout of the CMC hasn't changed (except for the minor design change to fix the issue), which then leads me to suspect that this bulletin is NOT advice for the Type R at all, because it uses CMC part number(s) "46920-SMG-X91", "46920-SMG-X92", "46920-SMG-X93", "46920-SMG-X94" and even "46920-SMG-X95".

So can i conclude that the different versions of the appropriate Type R version CMC(s) are illustrations of Honda trying to release later and later versions of the Type R CMC to try and fix the same issue there too? Have they had success? Which version am I running myself right now. If i spend 200 with Cox motor Parts and get the "46920-SMG-X95" version, is this the last iteration, and the one that finally fixes the issue?! (I'm thinking out loud - unless someone does indeed know that answers)

I have just sent the following to Cox Motor Parts. I'll see what they say:

To whom it may concern:

What is the difference between these two part numbers?

Part Number: 46920SMGX95

Part Number: NISSINSMGX95

Regarding the first part number; is this different from 46920SMGX91, 46920SMGX92, 46920SMGX93,46920SMGX94?

The reason I am asking is that I have an FN2 Type R GT. I am a recently new owner (within the last month), and my car is exhibiting the well known clutch pedal click when warmed up (it doesn't do it when cold), and I'm desperate to try and fix this once and for all (it's driving me mad). I have been conducting testing as a process of elimination (disconnecting all sorts), and I am coming to the conclusion that the Clutch Master Cylinder is the thing making the clicking noise (and accompanying vibration). If you push slowly on the clutch pedal, it's a click. If you push really slowly, it's a creaking.
    I am trying to understand if these different part numbers constitute evolutionary design changes by Honda, and if the one you're carrying is the latest and last evolution, which hopefully finally fixes such issues being reported by owners.

I am hoping you know something of this issue and all of these part numbers and their differences.

Thanks in advance.

Wow! Cox Motor Parts are quick! I've already had a reply from them. This is what they said:

Hi

With regard to 46920SMGX95 (and ending with X95), this is just the part numbers being superseded (smallest ending number being the oldest).

This can be because of Honda changing design of the part but also can mean it is being created by a new manufacturer or even a just new style box it comes in!

Having checked the Honda EPC, the part ending X95 is the most recent.

In terms of the difference between 46920SMGX95 and NISSINSMGX95 – the first is a Genuine Honda part, the second is the Nissin version of the same part.

Nissin actually manufacture this part for Honda.

Hope that helps answer your queries.

Many Thanks

Can I ask if there are owners of FN2 Type R's out there who DO NOT have a clicking clutch pedal please?

If there are, then perhaps this issue has been solved on some cars by way of a later CMC being installed, but some of us (possibly me too) are still running an older CMC.

I had a 57 plate Fn2 and no clicks.
    R#3- Cosmic Grey 06 plate Prem EP3
    R#2- Nighthawk Black FN2 GT, R#1- Satin Silver Prem EP3

Quote Originally Posted by Flashy View Post
    I had a 57 plate Fn2 and no clicks.
    Ok, good. Thanks. How long did you own the car for, and was it old or brand new when you had it? (Just trying to ascertain if that car also had the issue, but it had not developed enough yet to produce a click - unless of course it had already had a CMC change)