• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Injen vs Tegiwa M thread power and driveability - real experiences

Hi all,

This is another intake thread but I'm looking for real life experiences from people who have had both intakes or some experience of long arm CAI vs carbon boxes. I've searched and read threads on here with some people advising Injen will give better gains due to a smoother path and built in velocity stack and some people contradicting and stating they moved to the Gruppe M / Tegiwa looking for an increase in gains. For a road car and a driver looking for the the smoothest and greatest power and torque gains for day to day driving which intake will best suit their needs? Do CAI sound deeper?

I'm aware of hydrolock issues so will be mindful of this.

Look forward to your replies.

I had both the genuine Gruppe M and a long arm CAI in the form of the AEM, both on EP3’s.
Power wise, I would say they are the same or very close to each other. The gains are small, as always with just an intake, but there was a noticeable difference in the throttle response.

Noise wise, the AEM is more of a raw noise, and there’s a more pronounced “bark” as you hit VTec. The Gruppe M noise was less pronounced, but I think it sounded far better. My friend described it as Darth Vader with asthma :lol:

Obviously you’re already aware of the possible Hydrolock issue of a CAI, but from personal experience, you would need to be in a lot of water to suffer any issues. And by that point you’d have water coming in the doors.

Neither kit is going to make big gains without other supporting mods and a remap. Unfortunately this is the issue with NA cars, they don’t make big power without big money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had a tegiwa m, sold it, bought an injen, sold it and repurchased the tegiwa m. Unmapped there is no noticeable difference in power, the injen noise is deeper. I have read that the teg m makes 1 or 2 bhp more when mapped. The injen does have a built in velocity stack, you can also add a bigger stack to it, say a 6" to 3". I like both but the teg wins it for me as it looks good in the bay and should make a bit more from a remap according to what I've read. My k100 remap is less than 3 weeks away :)
One thing I would add is the injen gains were higher up the rev range and the teg across the range, that's how it felt to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys thank you both for your valuable input. It seems there isn’t much in it in terms of outright power gains however there is a different in maybe where the power is made. I think my EP3 pulls well even before VTEC so gains throughout the revrange would be great for daily driving.

Does the Tegiwa / Gruppe M box sound tinny and hollow? I would like the black high RPM beast to sound like a chesty Darth Vader!

The M has no tinnyness that I remember. It has a nice throaty sound, that builds with the revs. Personally I think of all the intakes i've heard, it sounds the best.

Yes listened to that Flashy however on my mobile phone it's hard to appreciate the noise! Also our engines don't have much torque to begin with - will an intake give a noticeable increase? Looking forward to hearing back from your remap. Are you getting a KPro?

Last edited by a moderator:
The M has no tinnyness that I remember. It has a nice throaty sound, that builds with the revs. Personally I think of all the intakes i've heard, it sounds the best.

That's good to hear. Was the power gain noticeable?

Yes listened to that Flashy however on my mobile phone it's hard to appreciate the noise! Also our engines don't have much torque to begin with - will an intake give a noticeable increase? Looking forward to hearing back from your remap. Are you getting a KPro?

K100, it's the same minus user function

Back