• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 speaker and sub upgrades

Hi
I upgraded my oem unit in my car a few months back to the Pioneer Sph-da130dab which gave better sound quality and more features yet now id like to upgrade the speakers and add a new set of front speakers and a sub, I dont want a huge sub im more thinking a slim sub preferably underseat unless there not really worth bothering with :confused:
I have seen these mentioned in the past threads on here are they still the way to go or is there any better similar priced options now http://caraudiosecurity.com/esk165-2-way-16-5cm-components and i was thinking of this sub being small and active so assuming i wouldnt need a amp then either ? https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-ksc-sw11_p-31239.htm

Id prefer to try keep the price at a maximum of £300 as i just want a bit more bass and clearer sound not some full on booming bass system to be heard for miles :)

You don't need a sub, you would probably get the sound you're wanting with a good set of components and a decent class D amplifier. Don't forget sound deadening in the doors. See how that is and then look at a sub afterwards. That's my 2p.

I’d be interested to know how you get on. I have completely standard ICE as it stands and it’s pretty underwhelming. There was a sub added in the boot but as above, it’s not what I’m looking for due to dimensions and what was a complete imbalance in sound.
I’d be interested in just upgrading what’s currently there along with a decent amp

Bit of work in progress at the moment on it :)
So far fitted the amp in the boot which I’ve got linked in with head unit, and battery although not wired it on yet as I’ve not finished the speakers wiring.
I’ve sound deadened one door and got wires through for the speakers on that door which was a nightmare to do, I’m hoping I’ll have it all done tomorrow just need get speakers fastened in on both doors and one door deadened and wires through to it which is a pain to do #-o

With the wiring connection/plugs sat on the very edge of the boot i couldn’t get my new speaker wiring through :( room due to plugs there was too tight.
I managed to feed a cable access rod through and i fastened my new cable to its end and two attempts it ended up getting really tight and coming off, second attempt actually ended up end of rod getting stuck a bit so i decided I’m going to damage the original wiring in there if i carry on.

I ended up just nicking into the edges on where the boot fastened in and fed the wiring along side it and run some silicone to stop it moving about and to seal the nicked out piece I’d done, I’d preferred it in the boot and tidy yet if it messed up existing wiring which it would’ve with the way it was going I’d been seriously annoyed.. just wouldn’t go through even though i had things pulling it.

I was using a flat speaker cable but stripped into 2 so it’s less size but even then it wasn’t going through.

All fitted now so only grabbed odd photos sorry :(
Any questions though and I’ll try to help on how i did it, although others may have done it differently.
I would recommend grabbing a cable access kit, which came in helpful a few times :)
I never managed to get my speaker wiring through with original cables through the rubber boots between car and door itself, I ended up cutting a chunk or making a hole below the the rubber tube section then tie wrap with bit silicone covering up where I’d fed the cables through ( that was hardest part for me )

Back