• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Water in me spoiler?

I have noticed that after washing the FN2 I can hear water sloshing about in the tailgate.
It appears to be in the spoiler particularly on the passenger side.
There is no sign of water in the light units.

I assume that the foam seal is letting it in and it does not appear to be coming out anywhere but evaporates slowly until the next wash or rain.
The drain holes in the tailgate are working fine and there is no sign of water anywhere in the boot.

If I undo the bolts at the edge of the spoiler and give it a gentle lift will this be enough to let the water out?
Any suggestions on sealing the top edge against the window glass?

I did see Loxy's thread.
I think his problem was water getting through into the boot via those internal bolt holes, maybe mine just hasn't got as bad yet.

However, it seems to me that it is trapped between the outer spoiler and the window not inside the tailgate.

I don't see how it could get into the actual spoiler, it's pretty much solid.

OEM at the bottom of the picture

Attachments

• PhotoPictureResizer_190503_163830664-2124x1195.jpg
    PhotoPictureResizer_190503_163830664-2124x1195.jpg
    810.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see how it could get into the actual spoiler, it's pretty much solid.

OEM at the bottom of the picture

There's plenty of space there for water to collect between spoiler and the window underneath.

Might have to try a small hole like Partyvan says.
Or maybe there is a drain channel that's blocked.

Mine had a good two litres in the spoiler at the very least.

As above, rubber washers where the bolts to through have sealed the join to the tailgate and I've drilled two holes one in either end of the spoiler at the lowest points to stop it filling up again.

4233c9a9d392ec22d41db1526ee99490.jpg

35aeab5eb8191e7f7109a996553eb790.jpg

Thanks Loxy, that worked a treat.

Not sure I had that much water in it but still enough.
I think it was getting in through the rubber bung that sits each side, just below the circle you drew.
They did not seem to be pushed right in and fell out when I took the spoiler off.
Either that or where the bolt bracket sits, can't see any other holes that would let water into the actual spoiler itself.

I have not gone for the rubber washer or silicon sealer treatment since I am not getting any water in the boot (yet).
If it happens I know what to do.

Back