• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 slower after Injen intake!

Hey guys. So I installed a new Injen cold air intake to an otherwise stock EP3 but instead of noticing any performance or throttle response improvements the car generally feels slower. It takes longer to rev through the RPM range. There are no leaks and everything is tightened.

Am I right in thinking due to the piping being 3” in diameter it will take longer for the intake to fill with air and will result in high RPM power only? I was under the impression the Injen made good midrange gains and improved response.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Tanny

I did find when I first installed it and drove for a short while the revs fluctuated between 1k and 2k rpm at idle - bounced up and down slowly. Switching ignition off and on again sorted it! I had the batter terminals removed for a couple of hours but not noticed a difference.

You won't really notice anything just by fitting an intake you will just notice noise really, it's mapping that gives you the gains that you can feel.

Ive not had CAI like the Injen Ive only ever had your closed airboxes. With the one I have now without mapping it does feel more responsive and gives better mid range.

Revs can be a little erratic at first until the ECU compensates for the new amount of air flow. Give it a little time to 'adjust' and see how it feels then.

As I said I have no experience with CAIs like the Injen etc but I would have thought it would feel slightly more responsive than OEM.

Thanks man. I was wondering if it needs adapting to the new airflow however I’ve done 120 miles in it now, mostly motorway but some A roads too. To be honest not too bothered if the power gains are small but don’t want it to feel slower than stock! There is more noise but just seems like the RPM’s climb slower now than they did with stock intake.

You won't really notice anything just by fitting an intake you will just notice noise really, it's mapping that gives you the gains that you can feel.

Ive not had CAI like the Injen Ive only ever had your closed airboxes. With the one I have now without mapping it does feel more responsive and gives better mid range.

Revs can be a little erratic at first until the ECU compensates for the new amount of air flow. Give it a little time to 'adjust' and see how it feels then.

As I said I have no experience with CAIs like the Injen etc but I would have thought it would feel slightly more responsive than OEM.

Yeah it should have adjusted by now the ECU only allows a little difference in airflow.

Not entirely sure on this one, I take it the intake was purchased brand new? If it was second hand maybe worth buying a new filter or cleaning the exsisting one.

Only other thing to look at would be some sensors like the throttle position sensor, IAT or MAP sensors.

Yes it was brand new. Checked all sensors and fine. I’m going to check spark plugs tomorrow as unsure when they were last changed. And also will check colour.

I can give you the experience I had recently with the Injen. I can't really feel a power difference, maybe a slightly better throttle response. The extra noise is obvious. The engine did behave a bit strange at first, I could really see, that the extra air was strange for the ECU, but after about 200kms, it became much better, even better since. Maybe motorways are not the best place to get the ECU to adjust itself, it is best if you can vary engine speeds as much as possible. The engine needs to get through all the rev range many times, at various throttle positions and power loads, atmospheric attributes etc., in order to adjust itself best.

I can give you the experience I had recently with the Injen. I can't really feel a power difference, maybe a slightly better throttle response. The extra noise is obvious. The engine did behave a bit strange at first, I could really see, that the extra air was strange for the ECU, but after about 200kms, it became much better, even better since. Maybe motorways are not the best place to get the ECU to adjust itself, it is best if you can vary engine speeds as much as possible. The engine needs to get through all the rev range many times, at various throttle positions and power loads, atmospheric attributes etc., in order to adjust itself best.

Thanks Vitka. I have had a similar experience and do have an update.

So after almost 200 miles now, mostly motorway but some local roads at varying speeds, gears and engine rpm's I am please to say the car is back to feeling responsive at all speeds and feels noticeably faster. It pull well from low speeds all the way into VTEC. Glad it's sorted now. I am putting this down to the intake drawing a noticeably different volume and temperature of air for it to affect the driveability so much and the ECU must now have compensated for the difference. I imagine with a tune the performance difference will be significant.

Anyway I thoroughly recommend this intake now. The sound from 4k rpm is deep and menacing, and in VTEC it goes mental. I have people turning around to see what evil is approaching them only to see a stock looking EP3 approaching with intent!

That was a beautiful description Tanny :D Absolutely what I feel every time with the Injen, and I'm glad things got sorted out for you. Can't wait for the mapping!

Back