• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 stainless OEM style 2.5" exhaust found - opinions?

Chaps I've wanted a bit more grunt from the car but without too much noise or a massive Jap can poking out of the posterior. I've found the following and wanted your opinions. The design of the backbox would lead me to believe nasty rasp and other higher pitched frequencies should be dampened. The 1 review on the backbox confirms this. What are your thoughts?

Backbox

backbox.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-STAINLESS-TWIN-TAILPIPE-EXHAUST-BACKBOX-FOR-HONDA-CIVIC-EP3-2-0-TYPER-01-05/183150908458?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

and the b-pipe

b pipe.png

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-STAINLESS-RACE-SPORT-EXHAUST-CENTRE-PIPE-FOR-HONDA-CIVIC-01-05-EP3-TYPE-R/351749692582?hash=item51e5ea5ca6:g:ZEUAAOSwBKpbRLFo

The weld look quite good in the photos. There are some close ups in the listings. Other than a custom exhaust I've not seen any OEM style stainless 2.5" exhausts

Last edited by a moderator:
OEM-style stainless is basically Fujitsubo Legalis R (with the benefit of being JASMA cerified, so nice and quiet, but with a great overall tone). The down-side is price.

It does stick out a bit more because it's made for the JDM manifold/cat which is a bit shorter, but I didn't mind that so much. The build-quality is top notch.

There are probably others similar to that, I just figured I'd mention that it's not just custom-builds that are OEM-alike.

OEM-style stainless is basically Fujitsubo Legalis R (with the benefit of being JASMA cerified, so nice and quiet, but with a great overall tone). The down-side is price.

It does stick out a bit more because it's made for the JDM manifold/cat which is a bit shorter, but I didn't mind that so much. The build-quality is top notch.

There are probably others similar to that, I just figured I'd mention that it's not just custom-builds that are OEM-alike.

Apologies for the late reply Mike. I have seen the Fujitsubo Legalis R and really like them but yes the price is very steep - I have no doubt the quality is top notch but gone are the days where I could justift £700+ for a catback. I'll have a look at some others too.

Let's assume you did decide to go forced induction later on, you're going to buy another exhaust then? In that case why not just buy a decent one now?

I agree with mike.h. If you spend a little bit more on a decent catback now it will be a good investment as it will last longer then the Sportex and give good gains when mapping for NA or FI.

If you get the Sportex then decide to go FI you will then be shelling out again for an exhaust.

Does'nt matter if you go 2.5" or 3" both will be ok used for NA or FI as long as its a decent system.

Both will need to be mapped to see any real gains a 3" would probably make a bit more than 2.5" with whatever you choose to do.

Thanks guys. With FI I thought I’d go for a 3” exhaust which right now would be overkill and perhaps quite loud. Also didn’t know if it’d bolt onto a stock car.

I suppose for my moderate daily driven requirements I’d be happy with 300bhp and a 2.5” exhaust would be sufficient

2.5" will suit just fine even if you go turbo and will probably be cheaper than a 3".

Personally I would look for a decent 2.5" stainless cat back.

With a 2.5" pipe you should be able to get up to 260bhp. If this is a daily I can't see you going beyond that without spending a lot more money on other things too.

Yeh that makes sense. Low noise levels are the most important thing to me to be honest and also something that looks OEM

Back