• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sports cat with OEM cat back - noisy?

Just wondering if anyone is running a sports cat (e.g. like the Solid Fabrications offering) with the OEM Honda exhaust behind it on a normally aspirated Type-R (Civic, Accord or Teg)?

Does it make much more noise than standard or much the same?

Cheers

I don’t have an answer but I have a very similar question to this which is hopefully related enough to your question without it appearing I’m thread-jacking!!

So I currently have a cpl racing header that came already fitted when I bought the car. As far as I understand, this has effectively removed the cat and is mated up to an oem exhaust.

While it’s done wonders for the torque my car stinks and I’m nervous Mr plod sat 2 or 3 cars back in traffic might take an interest. I’ve also read horror stories that decat cars have broken insurance rules and in the event of being involved in an accident, insurers could refuse to pay out!

So my question is, if you go custom mid pipe, could you get a sports cat fitted, allowing for most of the additional torque to remain from a freer flowing manifold whilst being back on the right side of the law?!

I don’t have an answer but I have a very similar question to this which is hopefully related enough to your question without it appearing I’m thread-jacking!!

So I currently have a cpl racing header that came already fitted when I bought the car. As far as I understand, this has effectively removed the cat and is mated up to an oem exhaust.

While it’s done wonders for the torque my car stinks and I’m nervous Mr plod sat 2 or 3 cars back in traffic might take an interest. I’ve also read horror stories that decat cars have broken insurance rules and in the event of being involved in an accident, insurers could refuse to pay out!

So my question is, if you go custom mid pipe, could you get a sports cat fitted, allowing for most of the additional torque to remain from a freer flowing manifold whilst being back on the right side of the law?!

Insurance is fine as long as its declared, I declared my 4-2-1 decat manifold.

Mr plod wont be interested as long as your not sat there revving its tits off.

Its VOSA you don't want to be stopped by but chances are minimal, if you keep your car taxed mot'd and insured.

Cat in mid pipe is too far away from the action to be effective its been tested

Just wondering if anyone is running a sports cat (e.g. like the Solid Fabrications offering) with the OEM Honda exhaust behind it on a normally aspirated Type-R (Civic, Accord or Teg)?

Does it make much more noise than standard or much the same?

Cheers

Solid fab sytems are meant to be quite boomy from what I have read. Never heard one, but yes you will be introducing more noise.
I wouldnt bother just swapping to a sports cat unless you are going to go further with the exhaust system and get a remap.

How about a Piper manifold with sports cat? I have no personal experience but t's the manifold I want to get for the legality and sensible noise levels.

That’s mad. So as long as you’re insurance company are making more money out of it they’re happy to insure a car that isn’t roadworthy? :smt017

How about a Piper manifold with sports cat? I have no personal experience but t's the manifold I want to get for the legality and sensible noise levels.

Heard mixed reviews, the first year goes quite well MOT wise, then the cat becomes less and less effective.

Also needs to be red hot to get through MOT, not based on personal experience but this is what I have seen other piper users.

I would be tempted to get the piper manifold also with the decat section, get it mapped on that, then you can swap the decat for the cat section yearly for the MOT and swap back.

Much easier than swapping the full header

That’s mad. So as long as you’re insurance company are making more money out of it they’re happy to insure a car that isn’t roadworthy? :smt017

Been with several companies that insure decat no issues, including some of the big names

Heard mixed reviews, the first year goes quite well MOT wise, then the cat becomes less and less effective.

Also needs to be red hot to get through MOT, not based on personal experience but this is what I have seen other piper users.

I would be tempted to get the piper manifold also with the decat section, get it mapped on that, then you can swap the decat for the cat section yearly for the MOT and swap back.

Much easier than swapping the full header

This is a little off-putting. I was hoping it would be a fit and forget solution. Would the car behave ok with a sports cat if mapped with a decat? To be honest one reason why I was interested in the Pipe manifold with cat is to reduce noise. I hate rasp.

The piper manifold cat or not is going to create much more noise than stock, the raspyness tone will be down to choice of cat back.

I think you would be ok on the piper cat providing you get it red hot before MOT.

for me it seemed too much money to spend on something that may fail MOT in a few years time as it deteriorates and if the tester faffs around for a while before it gets tested.

Piper manifold including cat with sensible Jasma exhaust shouldn't be too bad, a lot of it is down to preference and depending on what you class as being too noisy etc.

for me it seemed too much money to spend on something that may fail MOT in a few years time as it deteriorates and if the tester faffs around for a while before it gets tested.

Most of them do faff around!

To be honest I may just keep the stock manifold in place and buy a Tegiwa catback. I really want something quiet. Apparently the 2 silencer Piper with twin tailpipe is quiet too and looks like OEM.

Circling back to the original post, the OEM mid pipe and back boxes with SF sports cat is just as quiet as the OEM cat

Back