• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Check engine light came on today...

Hi all,

Wasn't expecting this but started the car today and the check engine light came on and stayed on.

I didn't feel anything noticeable driving the car at 30mph.

Could it be the coolant sensor that has gone duff?

It's a 2015 fk2 r.

Anyone had this before?

Going to the dealer on Monday to get it checked anyway

Thanks

what makes you think coolant sensor?would expect gauge to be always cold/hot depending which way it failed.

Irrespective of what the dealership find tomorrow it would be well worth investing in an OBD II reader so you can read/clear any future codes ;)

Just went for a drive and engine light remains on and it's not the coolant sensor. I was a bit silly to think it was that. Dial shows normal reading.

Mark thanks for the tip. Might have to do that . Hopefully it's not anything bad.

When I look at the manual it states 'comes on if there is a problem with the emissions control system'.

Under explanation it states 'shows the self testing condition of the diagnostics of the emission control system' or have vehicle checked by dealer.

My mate told me I'm not driving the car hard enough when I told him what it said in the manual with regards to the emissions bit.

Hopefully find out tomorrow will keep you posted

would recommend the Carista OBD dongle. cheap and faster than most of the cheap ebay dongles and at least gives you the option to buy the extra advanced features for other cars (not honda :() should you need it. works fine with any of the elm327 apps i've tried (RaceChrono, Torque etc)

I've seen turbo sensor is vaguely common problem with CEL lights up but no obvious driveability issues. wiring issue iirc and i think fairly cheap to fix if not under warranty.
cant be sure till you get an fault code so i'm simply swinging the knife around in the dark hopign to hit something...

yer mate is taking bollox if it's thrown a code for not driving hard enough. mine gets driven almost like miss daisy in winter and doesn't get upset - oil never warms up fully on work commute so doesn't get driven hard even if traffic permits it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Problem resolved!

Cure: the petrol tank cap was not fit flush when I filled up at the petrol station after work on Friday. Therefore the system was not sealed.

I undid the petrol cap this morning and made sure it sealed.

Started the car up and the engine light has gone.

A guy at work who has a obd dongle (he has a s2000) plugged it in and the error code was P0046.

I agree with Chris sorry for rambling on.

This could happen to anyone if you were in a rush or tired.

Hope this may help someone in the future.

Thanks all those that have posted in this thread. I'm going to buy a obd dongle!

Glad you got it sorted easily & thanks for the update :D

no worries mate. im glad it was something so simple.

i actually found the solution online on the most common causes of an engine management light and it said to check the petrol cap sits properly amongst other things.

i think there is a pressure sensor in the fuel tank somewhere and it picked up something was not right hence the engine light. Im sure someone who is way more technical than me can explain how this sensor relates to the entire system.

Problem resolved!

Cure: the petrol tank cap was not fit flush when I filled up at the petrol station after work on Friday. Therefore the system was not sealed.

I undid the petrol cap this morning and made sure it sealed.

Started the car up and the engine light has gone.

A guy at work who has a obd dongle (he has a s2000) plugged it in and the error code was P0046.

I agree with Chris sorry for rambling on.

This could happen to anyone if you were in a rush or tired.

Hope this may help someone in the future.

Thanks all those that have posted in this thread. I'm going to buy a obd dongle!

better than what i did on last trackday... leave station with the flap still open and cap in it's holder. had to fill up on the wrong side so the automatic actions didnt happen. never done that in my years of driving... atleast i didnt drive away with the hose still in :D

better than what i did on last trackday... leave station with the flap still open and cap in it's holder. had to fill up on the wrong side so the automatic actions didnt happen. never done that in my years of driving... atleast i didnt drive away with the hose still in :D

that's is exactly what I did filling up the wrong side in a hurry and stretching the fuel hose across to reach the other side of filler cap,,

Back