• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 brake disc sheilds on or off for track.

Just wondering what people thoughts were in removing these sheilds for better cooling on the track? Any down sides, cheers

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

My worry with removal would be cooking the brake lines or your suspension, especially when on track. Heat shields are there to protect other things from the heat.

My worry with removal would be cooking the brake lines or your suspension, especially when on track. Heat shields are there to protect other things from the heat.
I've done a handful of track-days now with no dust shields. They're mainly there for preventing dirt and debris getting onto the discs/brakes.

With the amount of air flow over them whe driving, the radiant heat would be minimal. Couple that with cool down laps and I struggle to see how anything would get hot enough with the amount of air gap there is between them.

As an added note for example, new Vito vans don't come with any, and suffer from uneven pad wear due to the dirt etc adding even more friction to the inner pad. They don't have any additional heat shields fitted either.

But as with any mods to a vehicle, you're changing something the manufacturer didn't intend, so always keep that in mind.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Fair points Norv. I remember on my VTi in NZ I'd frequently end up with stones stuck between the shield and disc on gravel roads. Most. Annoying. Thing. Ever.

If they aren’t rotten and still in good condition then I would recommend keeping them on to assist blocking temps to other components

Back