• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Exhaust Manifold Replacement EP3

Hello

I have blow coming from my exhaust which kwik fit have been unable to see on the ramp (seeing it myself, the exhaust looks in pretty good condition). This makes me think it must be the exhaust manifold as its the only bit I can't see. The blow fades after about 10 mins unless its under heavy load.

Honda want nearly £100 just to tell me the problem so I'm wondering if I should just buy an aftermarket exhaust manifold and have that fitted.

As I have a totally standard exhaust system, would there be any benefit in upgrading the manifold? Kwik fit reckon it could just be the manifold gasket but I'm not sure how I could find this out without losing a tonne to Honda.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Likely just the gasket. Take it to a proper garage, not Honda or kwiksh1t. Most aftermarket manifolds are decats and will require a remap (£1000+)

Not the hardest job in the world to have a go at yourself either.

What condition are the bolts to the cat? they just disintegrate on these cars and chances are they will need cut off. So Get some new bolts bought ready for when you or the garage do the job.

Thanks very much for the replies. Really appreciate it.

Ended up going to Honda as it’s about a 2 minute walk from me so is convenient. They said they would check it as part of a health check so didn’t charge the £94 they were going to.

It is as you suggested a gasket and one of the springs on a bolt had also snapped off. £110 to replace the bolts/springs and the gasket. Probably had me pants down a bit but it’s a fixed price so if it goes wonky it’s not my problem. Had a knock sensor replaced last year and went to private garage. Ended up paying more than Honda because it was an hourly rate and they couldn’t get the manifold off!

Thanks again

Jim

You can do the knock sensor without taking the inlet manifold off, it's a bit awkward but a manageable job. Easier still if you have it on a ramp.

Back