• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Bridgestone Potenza S001?

As per the title, has anyone tried these on their FK8? Or other Type R?

Bridgestone Potenza S001 245/30 R20 90 Y XL FR

They are significantly cheaper than the Continental, Michelin and Goodyear options.

I have looked at these, having had them on a 911. I have worn out my Continentals in four and a half thousand miles.

I am going to try Michelins in the hope that the better wear rate will balance things out. We'll see!

Dave

I had them on my FN2, bit of a fairy compared to an FK8 but they were really good in the dry. In the wet not so good so switched to Hankook k120 evo2 they also wore fairly quickly!

Having had S001's on another car, i would expect them to last ages but won't be a patch on Michelin's in the wet or dry for grip.

They won't be an awful tyre, I just find that generally Bridgestones are pretty hard and can be a bit scrabbly when pressed. Unfortunately ever since the RE04's that came on my 350z tried to kill me whenever water fell from the sky, my view has been a bit tarnished!

I've never liked Bridgestones since my EP3 had them, as said above they're too hard and not great in the wet. However this was 2008 so they may be better these days, but I wont ever get them again.
I'll be going for Michelin PS4's when it comes to changing the Continentals.
I had Michelins on my Boxster S and they were outstanding.

Thanks for the replies, info and opinions.

I can get the S001’s for £138 PS4S are £203 so there’s a big difference!

I tend to use the car to drive to work which is mostly motorway and not often a spirited drive so does the performance really matter too much?

Have any of you rotated the wheels on the FK8? I was advised not to by my local tyre garage, they said that because the car has the TPMS system that the front are rear wheels should not be moved from the axel they are on. Has anyone else been advised that this is the case?

I would prefer to wear out the full set of Continental’s and swap the set of 4 tyres to a different option. My fronts are down to 2mm in the middle after 6k mileage so I’m keen to get a tyre that has better wear.

I’m also considering the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 5’s. Has anyone tried these yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would rotate wheels when fitting new tyres, in my experience you’re better off with the new set of tyres on the rear.

PS4S on mine for the last few thousand and so far I can confirm grip is a match for the original Conti's , the ride is distinctly better and wear so far negligible. In my experience the Michelins always last much longer than the equivalent rivals. Between 50% and 100% more than the Contis I would estimate based on the first 3000 miles.
So probably every bit as long lasting as the S001 and a far better , grippier tyre.

I just got my front conti's replaced after 8,000 miles, and I decided to try these tyres out.

Also, prior to this, i had the wheels rotated with no issues, but I was advised that I would need to replace the tyres soon. So i got them replaced, and rotated back, so I could have the Bridgestones on the front, as I wanted to see how decent they would be

Contis wear is atrocious, just switched my Mitchies to the front and my brand new 1200 miles ago Contis are at least half worn. Glad I didn't pay for one of them.

As has been said I found the pots almost lethal in the wet on the ep3 so wouldn't go near them again...

Mich me for as well next time when the 4 contis I stockpiled for a good price and are currently in the loft run out....call it November at their wear rates :lol:

As has been said I found the pots almost lethal in the wet on the ep3 so wouldn't go near them again...

Well I'll soon find out haha...i couldnt stretch to to the Mich atm, hoping they end up on sale somewhere in teh distant future so i can nab some cheaper

Well I'll soon find out haha...i couldnt stretch to to the Mich atm, hoping they end up on sale somewhere in teh distant future so i can nab some cheaper

I have no doubt they have improved....or if it was bad enough with 197, 316 should be a right giggle :D

yep and prices may soon go up with the issues in Saudi - I've heard often the price of a oil barrel in the markets can knock-on to the raw material cost and hence prices for tyres can fluctuate.

the other thing you may not see also is the "date code" on the tyres, so sometimes two different prices for the same tyre on websites like Camskill can be because they have an sets of older tyres they are looking to shift first ;-)

MPS4S at £205 inc VAT at Costco. https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Auto...90-Y-PILOT-SPORT-4-S-XL-AO-AUDI/tire/p/703087

or Cup2's for £226 inc VAT, not really a tyre for the winter (unless you're a rally driver).

https://www.costco.co.uk/Tyres-Auto...30-R2-90-Y-PILOT-SPORT-CUP-2-XL/tire/p/977682

The MPS4S are the AO variant which is an Audi fitment apparently. Not sure what the difference is to be honest. The only one I could see was that the wet weather grip is "B" as opposed to "A" for the non AO. I got them anyway and they seem fine.

The MPS4S are the AO variant which is an Audi fitment apparently. Not sure what the difference is to be honest. The only one I could see was that the wet weather grip is "B" as opposed to "A" for the non AO. I got them anyway and they seem fine.

Often the manufacturer specific coded tyres have extra rim protection. Certainly the case with the conti’s on our cars.

sometimes the manufacturer specific tyres have a slightly different compound of rubber. Brother in law has an Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio and the Pirelli Corse tyres are softer/grippier with the "AR" marking than the non "AR". also the AR edition is more expensive being made in lower volumes. similar with LTS (Lotus) stamped Yoko AO48 tyres as well IIRC.

sometimes the manufacturer specific tyres have a slightly different compound of rubber. Brother in law has an Alfa Guilia Quadrifoglio and the Pirelli Corse tyres are softer/grippier with the "AR" marking than the non "AR". also the AR edition is more expensive being made in lower volumes. similar with LTS (Lotus) stamped Yoko AO48 tyres as well IIRC.

Interesting! Thanks for that

Back