• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Engine and gearbox mount inserts

Sorry if this has been covered before but has anyone got a how to guild with pictures on how to install engine and gearbox mount inserts? Is it an easy job to do? Thanks in advance.

No pictures but it can be done with axle stands.

Basically make the car safe as you would before getting under it, do one mount at a time, use a jack and a block of wood to support the engine while you get the mount off.

Use plenty of grease to get the inserts in as they can be hard work to get in. The rear mount can be hard to get out IIRC as there isnt much space.

Take the air box off to get at the gearbox mount more easily and do the same as the engine to support.

Just take your time when doing it. Hope this helps a little.

The rear mount (assuming EP3) requires detaching the cat to provide enough clear space to pull the middle bolt (unless you detach the whole assembly, but dropping the cat slightly is normally easier).

The driver side and gearbox mounts are pretty easy and can be done from above (you should still brace the engine with a jack to keep it at a fixed height through). Gearbox mount requires lifting the airbox out of place and a bit of fiddling with one of the bolts in particular if I remember correctly.

I've not done the front mount before. I suspect it's likely pretty easy from below.

As Shoonk says though, be really careful with how the car is supported, you'd basically be lying under the heaviest part of it.

Personally I would do them altogether just to balance it all out. They are a cheap mod to be fair.

Word of warning though, it'll be vibration-city. Given the age of the cars involved, anything loose will rattle (things behind the dash, segments of the roof lining, any number of things in the doors, front windows, etc.), most likely at the most common rev-ranges, fast-idle, 2500-3k, etc.

On my other EP3 I couldn't read number plates in my rear view mirror, they were just a shimmer. Something at the back of the doors vibrated at 1400, 2700, and 3500rpm, something behind the dash would make a noise between 2400 and 3000rpm, and something in the roof lining just to the right of my head oscillated.

I went mental looking for these various bits and pieces.

With all these warnings I think I’m going to bother? Is it worth doing? It seems there’s more cons to pro’s at the moment. I think I might give these a miss.

My opinion is they are a cheap mod and they definitely help with traction and wheel hop. I don't get any wheel hop now they are fitted and the gear changes feel better so I think they are worth it for them reasons.

They can be a pain to fit but if you take your time youll be fine. Some people can't live with the vibration some like me can. I used mine as a daily with no complaints until my first child arrived.

I did fit the inserts to new mounts though where as a lot of people put them in old tired mounts.

You will get vibrations if you fit uprated mounts too so unless you just refresh the oem mounts you will get vibrations.

I would do it and see if you get on with them. If you don't you can take them off and you have lost little money.

Back