• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Remap ECU FK8

first I knew they could do it was reading that article on the Team Dynamics one... but nothing on their website.

Personally I would go with hondata or the like, fully programmable and get additional functionality and utilise the screen.

I'm happy with the engine power, came back last week from a 5 day tour of Scotland, had no issues keeping up with any of the cars except an RS6 with 700bhp and that only really pulls away at daft speeds. In terms of mods I would put an exhaust on for the noise, upgrade the pads, brake lines, consider changing the intercooler and a better dif.

I've seen so many people reporting 30+ bhp from various maps and well as fuel economy gains. After being burned by ECU maps in the past I am waiting for Dream to get the Hondata nailed.

Question I find myself asking before I start on the slippery slope of modding is how much will I *really* use the car on the track where the extra bhp / torque could be useful.

mine is a daily driver and to be honest, is already quick enough for the twisty/rural roads around Essex. I like the idea of a subtle exhaust upgrade if only to give the car a bit of audible presence on the road.

not sure I'd really use another 100nm of torque or 50 bhp+ (maybe I should hand in my man and rice card immediately? :lol:)

I know what you're saying, but I think it could do with a bit more mid range torque as I only feel this thing comes alive higher in the rev range (which I know is the type R way of course) . A bit more shove when you're not totally on it and flat to the floor all the time would be nice..

New focus ST has 310 for example

I've seen so many people reporting 30+ bhp from various maps and well as fuel economy gains. After being burned by ECU maps in the past I am waiting for Dream to get the Hondata nailed.
So your FK2 did blow up cos you had it remapped...
I seem to remember you saying that these engines are near on the limit, so what's changed?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So your FK2 did blow up cos you had it remapped...
I seem to remember you saying that these engines are near on the limit, so what's changed?

Not sure why after countless occasions of asking you politely you still have to mention my bad luck. And worse still mention the car again. I do wish you would think before you make comments that could cause people unnecessary attention.

I have never been able to prove the cause of my bad luck. But it was more than likely the state of tune. And not a 30bhp increase. I have never stated that it wasn’t caused by the remap. Only that there was no way of confirming that it was the cause at the time.

There are many examples, including the Team Dynamics car recently posted by Honda themselves, of FK8’s running 400bhp. I was unlucky, hence my comments about being cautious around tuning. And waiting for a proper solution like Hondata.

I find it strange that Honda themselves are publicising the flash ECU map on the Dynamics car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly, when I heard honda commissioned it I was very dubious, but they did....I was hoping a team up with superchips would come out then saying it was warranty friendly.... Otherwise asking for trouble surely with people going off to map it

[video=youtube;tv4yiczkpO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4yiczkpO0[/video]

Think before you “mod”

Or more to the point, think about modding cars that you don't own but "bought" with a tiny deposit. Especially when the requested finance settlement is probably in the region of £50 - 60k on that M4.

[video=youtube;tv4yiczkpO0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4yiczkpO0[/video]

Think before you “mod”

Very true. This has, for obvious reasons, been very extensively discussed on the M3 forum and yes, the general conclusion is that you have to be very careful tuning on a financed vehicle.

It's also worth pointing out here, however, that LLF has done some VERY extensive modding to his M4 - hugely up rated turbos, ethanol, 700+hp etc. Most of which is irreversible without spending big money. BMW have gained knowledge of this (it's hard to miss on YouTube!) and decided that the car is sufficiently devalued (questionable but significantly they couldn't sell it as AUC on their network) and so the finance numbers don't add up. Also they believe that LLF couldn't simply pay off the finance in one go so they are repossessing the car.

This is not a few cosmetic parts, a small remap or an exhaust etc.

also wonder about the rules on PCP and track days. At the Nurburgring you can't hide your number plate and with searchable/filterable portals like ringportal.nl it's not so hard to trawl pics of say white Hondas at the Ring May 10th to 15th this year to find pics of my car. I've also heard "rumours" that insurance companies have access to software that scrubs track day photographers' pics to harvest number plates. How true that is - who knows, but as Dotty says think before you "mod" and maybe extend that to "track day" too.

I bought my FK8 from Marshall Honda in Peterborough who told me track days were fine and would not invalidate either the finance agreement or the warranty, provided it wasn’t modified. The finance agreement states no motorsport but I think it’s been pretty well established that TD’s are not motorsport.

Although I’ve not read it I bet the agreement specifies you must insure the vehicle comprehensively at all times so specific TD insurance is a must (you’d be mental to track a car of this value without it anyway imo)

So, people who may be adding catback while on finance - what are people's views? Asking for a friend....

This is the real grey area that was discussed at length. I will guarantee that somewhere on your finance agreement it states that you won't do any modifications to the car without the prior approval with the finance company. So technically no, you cannot put a cat back system without being in breach of contract.

But...........how are Honda Finance (assuming they are the finance company) going to know about this mid term? In the case above, LLF had plastered what he was doing across YouTube with c250k followers. Also, a cat back exhaust system could a) be put back to standard relatively easily if you kept the original and b) Honda may even take the car back with the exhaust if they believe it hasn't devalued the car and can sell it out of a dealer with it on (think Honda Fireblade with the approved Akrapovic exhaust).

As M3/4's are coming down in price (some of the finance deals are pretty amazing) they are becoming more attractive to the younger/tuning crowd. I've a few stories of them being sold by dealers as AUC's and then going pop. On inspection the dealers are finding that the cars are/have been modified but the current owner hasn't done it. It was done prior to trade in (they can tell in the data files) so the dealers are becoming a lot more focused on modifications and hence so are the finance companies.

Would this stop me modding my car? Maybe....I would ask myself some very careful questions before i did -
In the case of a remap, if it goes a bit too far and damages the engine, can Honda easily identify it? If so, all warranty on the engine is liable to be void.
It's likely the dealer will let Honda Finance know (as they own the car) as future manufacturers warranty will be affected (devaluing the asset). So if they do cancel the finance can you afford to pay the settlement? (There are credit score implications to having finance cancelled)
Are you/have you told your insurance company? (i'm sure this will have been discussed previously :eek: )

So as I said above, Cat Back exhaust, upgraded brakes, subtle cosmetic changes I wouldn't worry at all. I work on the basis of 'what would stop me buying this car from a dealer?'. Would you buy a car that has been previously remapped and you have no knowledge of how it's been treated? I wouldn't.

I know when I had all my gearbox problems with R-03344 that Honda UK wanted a "FULL" download of all ECU data (apparently there's 11+ ECU on the car recording various systems/functions) and we can only think they wanted to check for any remapping/modifications or other cleared off fault codes that my may car have had. Apart from K&N panel filter it was completely stock boggo standard.

Loads of people have already had warranty claims declined because of after market exhausts being fitted.

And it has nothing to do with being friendly with your Honda dealership. It's all down to Honda UK if your warranty claim is accepted or declined.

Back