• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Removing paint from rocker cover

Been looking in to refurbing my rocker cover and seen a few videos where they use aircraft remover. Unfortunately I can't seem to find that anywhere in UK. I have tried nitromors which was complete garbage and waste of money. Has anyone here resprayed their rocker cover and whats a good paint remover to use that I can get from UK? Thanks

I'm hoping to do mine next week. I have just got some paint remover from my local car part suppliers, if its any good I will post what it is.

Odd with nitromors though as that is probably the go to product. A mate of mine used that when he refurbed his and he highly recommended it although it is messy.

I think its all about taking your time don't rush any part of the process, the end result should then be worth the extra time.

So just to update I used Bartoline TX10 varnish and paint stripper and its completely stripped my cover.

Don't know how Nitro mors didnt strip yours tbh but this stuff worked on mine.

You do need to take your time and not rush it though it took 3-4 coats to completely remove as some bits were clinging on for dear life.

Also apply thick coats with a brush but just dab it on don't paint it on like your painting your house lol.

I believe Nitromors has been diluted over the last few years.
No doubt something to do with reducing volatile organic compounds in the atmosphere.
Net result is that it doesn't work as well so you have to use more of it or something more powerful, so defeating the ecomentalist object!

Nitromors used to contain dichloromethane which is the stuff you want to really strip the paint

You can still buy Nitromors old recipe by other trade brands as we use it at work.
But cant be used or even bought without undertaking specific training to use it.

I remember it melting through my gloves when I did my rocker cover with an alternative stronger than old nitromors (evil stuff but worked great)

The new legislation for any that are interested:
As of 6th December 2011 due to European Regulation No. 276/2010, Paint Strippers containing Dichloromethane (DCM) are only available for sale to Professional Users and used in Industrial Installations (proof will be required).

The use of DCM based paint strippers by Professionals outside industrial installations, ie on site or in workshop premises is only possible after the user has completed and passed a training course that conforms to the requirements of the HSE REACH Enforcement Regulations 2008.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you pile the nitro on and leave it for a while? It needs to be on like 2-3mm thick to actually work. Painting it on does next to fcuk all I've found.

Also, I use the cheap wilko paint remover. Just as crap as nitro and a fraction of the cost.

Nitromors used to contain dichloromethane which is the stuff you want to really strip the paint

You can still buy Nitromors old recipe by other trade brands as we use it at work.
But cant be used or even bought without undertaking specific training to use it.

I remember it melting through my gloves when I did my rocker cover with an alternative stronger than old nitromors (evil stuff but worked great)

The new legislation for any that are interested:
As of 6th December 2011 due to European Regulation No. 276/2010, Paint Strippers containing Dichloromethane (DCM) are only available for sale to Professional Users and used in Industrial Installations (proof will be required).

The use of DCM based paint strippers by Professionals outside industrial installations, ie on site or in workshop premises is only possible after the user has completed and passed a training course that conforms to the requirements of the HSE REACH Enforcement Regulations 2008.

How did we ever survive the good old days?

The TX10 I used got it all off just had to apply more coats and yeah its gotta be thick coats.

Painting it now as we speak with vht wrinkle plus kit, another 5 minutes then the last coat will be going on.

So here was my rocker cover before, definitely needed doing, then stripped with TX10, then a shot during and how it turned out, left it to dry some more now lol.
9308a991bd7420f1b0c4e4b040b72a9a.jpg
f6810e6326e0f6ca132d240c9b5ba4b0.jpg
08793c440e13b4878f0f0edb5ef93ce2.jpg
5b64cdafef8410755d2a154cb2dec37b.jpg
59bcdf5b243dda63908f01184e8e9b70.jpg
ec6f07e0ed2616bb08ecb32c20981f4f.jpg
4316994a41efa9eddada248e608347fb.jpg

Sent from my LG-M200 using Tapatalk

Back