• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Timing chain slap even after being replaced

Hey guys,

I've owned an EP3 for just over a year now and not long after purchasing it I noticed timing chain slap on a cold start up. So I went ahead and had the timing chain and tensioner replaced. I didn't get the guides done as I was told they are generally okay but in hindsight I'm starting to think I should of. An OEM chain and tensioner was used.

Getting the chain done reduced the slap alot but not completely as I still get a slight noise on cold starts. Oil levels are fine as I check it regularly. The car is currently on 96k.

Upon doing some research I read it could also be the VTC causing the noise?

I was just wondering if this was a common thing and should I be worried?

Thanks in advance

Does the starter motor sneeze sound as if you were to turn the key with the car on?

Yes that's what it sounds like. Can replace your starter or put up with the noise as it doesn't cause any harm. Mines makes this noise however it still starts so I am not going through the effort of changing it.

If that's the case and it sounds like that then that's not the sound I'm having. The only way I can describe it is like a chatter.

Back