• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 Fk2 and when to change the oil

I acquired my Ctr Fk2 at the end of October last year and mileage covered Nov-now June /19 is 1500 miles.As im retired most mileage is covered at the weekend and try to avoid lots of short journeys.
The variable servicing schedule has been switched off so im on the fixed service schedule. And according to my handbook the oil should be changed at 12500 miles or 1year whichever comes first.I thought as a type r turbo it would have been less.Even though i've only covered 1500 miles in 7 months as the miles have clocked up and checking the oil regularly i have noticed the oil has got steadily darker and the distinct carbon smell the oil gives off on the dipstick seems to have got stronger.Am i being over cautious? and leave the oil change until October which will be 1yr since the last oil change and still only around 3000 miles covered or get it changed now? I notice that previous services have been carried out at around the 6000 miles. Im not sure why?
Is there a way of telling if the oil needs changing?
When i'm out in the car i do drive the car sensibly and open it up where permitted without revving the car to the limit, in fact ive never had it up 7000rpm yet! Maybe i should occasionally ?
Any help and advice would be most welcome
Regards Fred.

Last edited by a moderator:
I acquired my Ctr Fk2 at the end of October last year and mileage covered Nov-now June /19 is 1500 miles.As im retired most mileage is covered at the weekend and try to avoid lots of short journeys.
The variable servicing schedule has been switched off so im on the fixed service schedule. And according to my handbook the oil should be changed at 12500 miles or 1year whichever comes first.I thought as a type r turbo it would have been less.Even though i've only covered 1500 miles in 7 months as the miles have clocked up and checking the oil regularly i have noticed the oil has got steadily darker and the distinct carbon smell the oil gives off on the dipstick seems to have got stronger.Am i being over cautious? and leave the oil change until October which will be 1yr since the last oil change and still only around 3000 miles covered or get it changed now? I notice that previous services have been carried out at around the 6000 miles. Im not sure why?
Is there a way of telling if the oil needs changing?
When i'm out in the car i do drive the car sensibly and open it up where permitted without revving the car to the limit, in fact ive never had it up 7000rpm yet! Maybe i should occasionally ?
Any help and advice would be most welcome
Regards Fred.

Pesonally id do it in october. Im lucky in that i use my fk2 properly everyday :) 2no. 40 miles trips a day on ! One at 6am the oher at 10 pm on fast A and B roads. I 7000rpm wont hurt it at all; its designed to do that. Jut ensure the engine is up to temp beofre doing so.

rev limiter is there for a reason. it's what the manufacturer says is safe.
engines are meant to be used so take it upto the redline and enjoy the fast life :D

mine seems to want to go in for service every 10months/7k miles. depends how you drive it. purely road and your driving conditions (ie: not lots of short journeys/engine always cold) than i'd go with what the book says.
since i use mine for track use aswell, i'm a bit different but 10month/7k includes 3 trackdays for me so i'm fine with that change interval.

Thanks for the replies. My main concern is having just covered only 1500 miles and the oil going darker and the typical smell coming from the oil on the dipstick is getting stronger,will the oil last until October when I should have only covered 3000 miles approx. The oil put in was Honda oil 0w-20 and dont do short journeys min 30-40 miles and do open it up
Im at my Local Honda dealer tomorrow and a technician is going to look at the oil and give me his opinion and we'll take it from.there.I'll let you know how I get on
Regards Fred.

if it puts you mind at rest and for peace of mind oil change is always a good thing. I bought mine and the first thing I had to do is oil change, air filter change just for my own peace of mine

if it puts you mind at rest and for peace of mind oil change is always a good thing. I bought mine and the first thing I had to do is oil change, air filter change just for my own peace of mine

Yeh when i got mine in October it had just been serviced.
So all was good.I suppose I am comparing the condition of the oil colour/smell to my previous honda which was a civic type s 1.8ivtec and In a year only did 1500 miles with mobil 1 0w-40 the oil was still clear and was no smell but the fk2 is a turbo and will have a different effect on the oil.

Hi Guys, good news!
I took my ctr to the Honda dealership for a technician to have a look at my oil as it was getting darker and the typical smell was a bit stronger. So the technician took the dipstick out wiped it and dipped it and pulled it out again. He said the colour was amber which is normal and is fine. He went on to say yes it will go darker as more miles are covered but the fact that its still amber tells him the oil is good.
So I will change it in October which will be around a year since the last change.
All I need to do now his chill and enjoy my fk2.
The more I get to know the fk2 the more I see how well engineered it is
Regards Fred.

Back