• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 First Service Oil Change

So Tuesday the car had its first service, it's under the 5 year service plan I purchased when I bought the car.
No issues with the car so far, loving it.
Now, when I first had it I purchased some "top up oil" the genuine Honda oil 0w20. The FK8 never used any in 12 months, 6k miles.

Collected the car from the Honda main dealer in Surrey, just casually asked them what oil they used, expecting them to say Honda Genuine oil, nope, they use Total Quartz 0w20 to Honda specification. I gotta say, I was a bit surprised.

Anybody else known of Honda Dealer using this oil? Its not an issue as I suspect its a very good oil but I can see it being tricky to find other than (a) Total garage where I believe they pulled out of the petrol market some 10 years ago or so, and (b) from the Honda Dealer that sells it at the parts counter. I can buy it online I know.

Careful it doesn't turn you into a complete bell end who seems to forget that we all remember that before all the tattoos, weird clobber, music career aspirations and alist birds, you were a geek from Stevenage...

Sounds like the garages use different oils depending on the deal they can get or preferences. Don't know why I thought it would be Honda only oil, my other VAG Group car, was factory filled filled with Castrol Edge which is what I have stuck with. The previous VAG Group car had Shell Helix, factory filled and sticker under the bonnet etc.
I suppose I was just surprised, have no experience of Total oil so will just trust it.

Sounds like the garages use different oils depending on the deal they can get or preferences. Don't know why I thought it would be Honda only oil, my other VAG Group car, was factory filled filled with Castrol Edge which is what I have stuck with. The previous VAG Group car had Shell Helix, factory filled and sticker under the bonnet etc.
I suppose I was just surprised, have no experience of Total oil so will just trust it.

Any good brand oil at the correct Honda spec and viscosity is going to be fine on the car. I'm not a massive fan of 'mixing' where i put a different brand in to top up what is already in there, but that's just me being a bit OCD. The dealers will chop and change depending on the deal. My M3 came from the factory with Castrol Edge in it and had that on the oil filler cap but at the last couple of services they used Shell Helix. The car ran really sweetly for 45k miles and didn't use more than half a litre between changes (c12k miles). I do get that there is a real minority of cars that have very certain oils but they are few and far between. IIRC the E92 (V8) M3 needed a particular, slightly thicker oil as it protected the main bearings better.

I wouldn't worry about Total oils at all. They make a lot of the stuff. Used in WRC, Formula 1, Indycar etc etc - I don't work for them, by the way!!

Noted @MattFK8, thank you mate. At least when I go to France in my other family car, apart from bringing back wine and beer, will bring back some oil. Shed loads of Total oil in Carrefour and every other petrol station is a Total one.:lol:

Yeah its strange: the 0W20 stuff was developed specifically for the type R (blah blah). My CTR was filled with Shell Helix 0W20 at its first change. Dealer invoice even named it... I don't think it matters as the engine is not 'that' highly strung. The E46M3 I has before HAD to use 10W60 of a certain type (Castrol TWS) and most (but not all) dealers stuck to that. You had to check or bring your own oil. The M3 had super tight rod-end clearances *** and 7900 rpm red line. It did matter then.

As long as it’s the correct grade and reaches Honda's specification there shouldn’t really be an issue.
You’ll find franchises have different agreements with oil suppliers across their group.
0w20 is the important part here.
It’s something the oil companies were asked to develop to help reduce engine emissions in a world where they're getting ever stricter.

Back