• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

70 or 74mm intake manifold & throttle body?

Hey!

So im planning on buying a intake manifold and a throttle body for my EP3 but can't decide if I should go for 70mm or 74mm.
Sorry if this is stupid questions but im new to the tuning scene :D

- Advantages & disadvantages with going 74mm instead of 70mm?
- Which one will give me the most hp?
- Which one will fit my setup the best?

Specs for the car when its done will be:

70/74mm intake manifold
70/74mm throttle body
Injen CAi
Hondata Kpro/K100
DC sports manifold
2.5" exhaust all the way
Maybe E85 conversion

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the skunk2 70mm on mine. Into a 70mm RBC. Feel like the throttle body was a bit of a waste of time/money. It looked gorgeous, however maybe made 1-2 brake and can't say much different about the mids. I think N/A the stock TB is well up to the task. However I beleive the inlet is worth it. There is one everyone was raving about a year ago. Cheaper and better performance then the RBC.
598217eac229ca8319532a93118d73cc.jpg
0d0c174e08dcf366ac2889ba0212d249.jpg

I had the skunk2 70mm on mine. Into a 70mm RBC. Feel like the throttle body was a bit of a waste of time/money. It looked gorgeous, however maybe made 1-2 brake and can't say much different about the mids. I think N/A the stock TB is well up to the task. However I beleive the inlet is worth it. There is one everyone was raving about a year ago. Cheaper and better performance then the RBC.

Hmm, alright. According to the guy that's going to tune my ep3 I would gain 5-6 hp with the 70mm throttle body. But now I dont know if it is worth it to get 70mm throttle body as you only gained 1-2hp...

Ive looked at rbc, rrc and skunk2 inlets. That's the ones I know about :)

Hmm, alright. According to the guy that's going to tune my ep3 I would gain 5-6 hp with the 70mm throttle body. But now I dont know if it is worth it to get 70mm throttle body as you only gained 1-2hp...

Ive looked at rbc, rrc and skunk2 inlets. That's the ones I know about :)
Id be suprised if the throttle body gives that much. But you never know. Even if it does it's alot of money for not much in he way of gains.

Id be suprised if the throttle body gives that much. But you never know. Even if it does it's alot of money for not much in he way of gains.

Yeah, oh well. Im going to spend alot of money on the car so I mind as well go with a aftermarket throttle body too.

What do you think about 70mm vs 74mm? Which one should I go with?

Yeah, oh well. Im going to spend alot of money on the car so I mind as well go with a aftermarket throttle body too.

What do you think about 70mm vs 74mm? Which one should I go with?
I'm sure Chris or someone with better knowledge will come along but I think it comes down to your final aims. Going FI or not? Cams? Etc?

I'm sure Chris or someone with better knowledge will come along but I think it comes down to your final aims. Going FI or not? Cams? Etc?

I won't go FI, too much of a hustle here in Sweden.

I might go cams in the future but as it seems now, no.

The final setup when its done will be:
DC sports exhaust manifold
2.5" exhaust all the way
70/74mm inlet manifold
70/74mm throttle body
Injen CAI
Hondata kpro/k100
Maybe E85 conversion
Maybe cams in the future

I wouldn’t bother with the throttle body. Just get the inlet and intake/exhaust/header.

I wouldn’t bother with the throttle body. Just get the inlet and intake/exhaust/header.

Alright, so I should skip the throttle body and just get a tegiwa adapter to fit the OEM throttle body to the inlet manifold?

Different intakes will require different adapters. But yeah that's the right idea.

Yeah, for sure. Then I'll get a 70mm inlet manifold and skip the throttle body!

If I get 200whp I'm happy regardless :)

Thank you so much for the help! And you to Chris, thanks!

The biggest gain ive ever seen a tb give on a k20 with basic bolt ons us around 3-4hp,but usually it's 1-2hp. I did read a post from America once about swapping out a 62mm tbgoing to 74mm tb and after mapping made 0.6hp . I ran oem tb at 320hp on my charged dc5 and oem tb on my charged fn2 at 340hp. Much better places to spend your money.

And as for 70mm rbc,well that's just the tb part ported so pointless. It's only when you cut them open and bore out the runners that there are any gains.

The biggest gain ive ever seen a tb give on a k20 with basic bolt ons us around 3-4hp,but usually it's 1-2hp. I did read a post from America once about swapping out a 62mm tbgoing to 74mm tb and after mapping made 0.6hp ����. I ran oem tb at 320hp on my charged dc5 and oem tb on my charged fn2 at 340hp. Much better places to spend your money.

I would like to supercharge it but there is just to much work to do it here in Sweden, unfortunately. I'll skip the tb and just go for the other parts I'm planning on buying and hope for the best :)

And as for 70mm rbc,well that's just the tb part ported so pointless. It's only when you cut them open and bore out the runners that there are any gains.

Alright, then I understand. I thought there may be a difference if I go with a 70mm rbc + 70mm tb vs 74mm rbc + 74mm tb.

No the tb isn't a restrictive part on a k20,even with port matched intake manifold any gains are minimal and not worth it.

As above, I'd just go for the standard RBC manifold and not the ported 70mm one. Tiny gains which aren't worth the money.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Back