• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 exhaust options

So, my power issue appears to be down to the exhaust. Looking for the best option that is not noisy, give decent gains (have no baffle restriction), a 2.5" and not expensive.

I've considered 3 options so far...

Keep the 5zigen back box but get a 2.5" straight through pipe (imagine that might be loud).
Get a 2.5" custom, been quoted around £370.
Get a second hand catback, something like a 70mm tegiwa.

For the sake of a few hundred quid, why don’t you do like a lot of us do on hear and just buy a decent new exhaust such as Fujitsubo RM-01A and put it on a credit card or PayPal credit. It would solve your power loss problems immediately. Why scrimp and buy a cheaply exhaust / poor quality and then six months to a year down the line be in the same power loss situation? You can get credit cards these days with no interest on purchases for 28months ect
Just go for it Flashy.

i run the tegiwa system ,plenty quiet enough normal driving and sounds good giving it the beans ,i changed from a m2 because it made my ears bleed

For the sake of a few hundred quid, why don’t you do like a lot of us do on hear and just buy a decent new exhaust such as Fujitsubo RM-01A and put it on a credit card or PayPal credit. It would solve your power loss problems immediately. Why scrimp and buy a cheaply exhaust / poor quality and then six months to a year down the line be in the same power loss situation? You can get credit cards these days with no interest on purchases for 28months ect
Just go for it Flashy.

Torque GT run 0% credit over 12 months.

I can afford it, no problem. Just not keen to spend 25% of the car value on an exhaust.

I have a habit of selling stuff I should have kept hold of, sold a ported 70mm RBC with IMG for £225 before I got the ep3. Sold the RM01A back box because I didn't think I'd pair it up to anything :rolleyes:

Been reading that optimum pipe diameter for N/A modded ep3 is 2.25" to keep the right pulse velocity. I'm seriously considering getting a non resonated b pipe and trying that out first. I'll check the back box out first with my camera to see if there's a straight through pipe. I'm not decatting so it shouldn't be too raspy. If it's too loud I'll stick an oem back box back on.

I'm sure it's been proven now that the bigger diameter the better?

I had a 2.5 unsilenced centre and oem back box for a while, it made 218 with rbc and dc manifold. Then went to 3 inch tdi North system and made 245. It was on different rollers but I could feel the difference.

I'd go for 2.5 or 3, though no matter how quiet a 3 inch is meant to be, they are quite loud.

There must be hundreds of decent second hand systems out there, so something like the fuji, toda or tegiwa copy should be about and suitable.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

I can afford it, no problem. Just not keen to spend 25% of the car value on an exhaust.

Another way to look at it : if this race car goes bang! because of its tune/ restrictive exhaust.

Would you say to yourself ? “I should’ve just got a decent cat back”

I’d rather pay £500 or so now than over £2k later down the line..

@cr54wds Is this very loud? I was thinking of a full Tegiwa engine back but the noise from a decat exhaust concerns me

Last edited by a moderator:
Booked in for a custom 2.5" b pipe in a couple of weeks. Keeping the backbox as it's free flowing and very well made.

Back