• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Cosmic Grey 2005 EP3 Civic Type R

Probably the smallest set of updates to the thread, but an update at least! :lol:

Firstly, I wanted to take this opportunity to thank 'CR54WDS' on here for sorting me out with a passenger side rear seat belt retaining clip. These are part of the rear interior panel:

4lw4Ith.jpg

Laurie agreed to send me the clip off an old panel they had. Many thanks! =D>

Before:

w2sFDxR.jpg

:(

After:

5Ki94gs.jpg

E0ZFpQC.jpg

Much better! :D

Forums are still top in my opinion :)

And finally, going back to the Stack gauge (again!!) I noticed on the Stack install instructions, it recommended a 4A fuse in the ignition switch live for the gauge, so bought an inline fuse holder and 4A fuse sorted that out.

That's it for now. Not much else I want to do to the car now, other than enjoy it :)

Time for an update. Ever since buying a spare set of interior dash trims and spraying them gloss black, I've not been happy with the finish. So I decided to try my hand at wrapping the trims instead.

Bought myself some carbon fibre 5D vinyl wrap off eBay. Already had a craft blade and a heat gun. The wrap arrived and I set to work.

Centre console removed:

HhqWidZ.jpg

Also decided to wrap the door handle trims too, to match. All laid out:

nFE0Ihm.jpg

Seeing as I'd never wrapped anything before, I watched a YouTube guide video before starting.

First up, I cleaned the trims to ensure a good adhesion with the wrap, then set about wrapping!

Surprisingly easy to work with, and almost therapeutic! :lol:

Anyway, everything wrapped without issue. While I was at it, I purchased a black leather gear gaiter with red stitching. I made sure I bought the one specifically for the EP3 with the metal ring at the neck, similar to the stock EP3 rubber gaiter. All done and ready to refit:

mQcF0ah.jpg

B5A5oU4.jpg

Yrk6Mpz.jpg

And got everything refitted. Centre console:

nR2adqc.jpg

kZ5BZI9.jpg

2r7l9Qh.jpg

XBPOWL7.jpg

Door trim:

Ub1RJ21.jpg

Only one pic as other side is identical.

Pretty happy with the results and only cost me a tenner! :D

ttfn! :cool:

You've done a great job there. Looks really nice.

Can I ask where you got the gaiter from?

Sent from my moto e(6) plus using Tapatalk

Nice car mate.
I came across after replying to Nidge’s thread about rear arch rust. You must have felt crap finding that mate. They have done a good job on the repair and at least you know that area is good for the foreseeable.
After looking at both you guys threads I realise Iam going to have to up my rust removal , prevention etc.
I need the underside of mine cleaned up and treated as it never has been but don’t have the facility to do it my self and don’t want to end up getting it done by somewhere that just paints over the rust and makes things worse.

Nice car mate.
I came across after replying to Nidge’s thread about rear arch rust. You must have felt crap finding that mate. They have done a good job on the repair and at least you know that area is good for the foreseeable.
After looking at both you guys threads I realise Iam going to have to up my rust removal , prevention etc.
I need the underside of mine cleaned up and treated as it never has been but don’t have the facility to do it my self and don’t want to end up getting it done by somewhere that just paints over the rust and makes things worse.

Thanks mate :smt023

Yeah the EP3 is starting to get on a bit now, mine has just turned 15!

It's nice peace of mind knowing its all welded up and sealed etc. Minor outlay to save the car. I had a good look underneath mine while it was on the ramps 6ft in the air at my local garage. All in good shape, nice and clean. Took the opportunity to do some painting of the underside while it was up there.

I've got some other bits and pieces I'm currently on with, I've also ordered some trim removal tools. Hoping I can get enough access to the inner sill area by removing the rear speakers rather than taking all the rear trim out.

Cheers! :)

Time for another update.....

After getting sick of seeing the rusty ends of my wiper arms while driving, I decide to sort them. My wiper arms are in good condition, it was just the ends. I also bought a full set of brand new wipers to complete. Wiper blades removed and the wiper arms complete with surface rust:

2mjvLNn.jpg

IxtfMtQ.jpg

Flatted the ends off with some 800 grit wet and dry paper, and gave them a touch up of satin black paint:

NFUDSq8.jpg

zxjuy9E.jpg

Fitted the new wiper blades and used Autoglym plastic trim renovator on the wiper arm cowling / scuttle panel. Looking much better:

F8yDVsr.jpg

Also replaced the rear wiper blade, but doesn't look any different, so moving on!

Next I turned my attention to the Enkei Evo wheels, which were missing the Enkei decals from the spokes as per the factory Evo 8. Googled the dimensions of the stickers and ordered a set, but with the Enkei symbol in red to tie in with my red H badges on the centre caps. Googled the Evo 8 wheel too to see where the sticker was placed. Spoke 90 degrees to the valve cap :lol:

Measured up, and stickers applied to all wheels:

XH03Cvx.jpg

And that brings me to today's job. Went out to the garage this morning and took the rear bumper off to have a look at the bodywork condition behind there:

Sr7wlp6.jpg

All good aside from the rear bumper bar (common issue). I was tempted to get a new one, but I didn't like the idea of potentially snapping the mounting bolts trying to remove it, so I opted for a refurb. Plus it's still pretty solid and no issue with the mountings etc. Wire brush out and set to work:

9wytz2l.jpg

Looking better already!

Next I used Hammerite Kurust all over it. I also treated any other bits that needed it and left it for 3 hours to do its thing:

egrJsA4.jpg

Looking better again....

Next I decided to paint it in Hammerite 'Direct to rust' paint. I would have preferred to do it in black, but I didn't have any. I did however, have some spare silver, so thought I'd use that instead. It'll all be covered by the bumper anyway. Also painted the lower section and the 2 little bumper 'shelf type brackets' at the top:

93GQrwG.jpg

More than happy with that. Another part of the car sorted! :D

Next up, I've ordered some trim removal tools in an attempt to remove the rear speaker grills and speakers to gain access and Waxoyl the inner sill cavity where I had the welding done. If I can't do that, it's rear interior out time!

Thanks for reading :smt023

Looking great mate, mine was exactly the same, very rusted bumper bar, but it’s all good now and used similar products to your self. Look forward to further updates.

Just for completion / close out :)

Bodywork behind bumper all washed & cleaned:

GfCnt9J.jpg

Figured I'd metal polish the exhaust while the bumper was off, as the access was there:

gWGxU0k.jpg

Bumper washed while off the car. Here we go....

jEWMB34.jpg

Bumper fitted with new plastic clips underneath, as the originals disintregrated:

ZrQ72d2.jpg

And an arty garage shot:

SdoRzHI.jpg

All sorted, pretty happy with that. :D

ttfn!

Might be worth getting an angle grinder on the rear crash bar mate over a wire brush as its a bit more aggressive and deals with removing the rust better. Once grinded, try applying something like Blit Hamper Hydrate 80 to treat the exposed surface, and then paint / underseal over that. (Dynax S-50)

I did what you done, checked it again after a year and it had gotten crusty again.

Might be worth getting an angle grinder on the rear crash bar mate over a wire brush as its a bit more aggressive and deals with removing the rust better. Once grinded, try applying something like Blit Hamper Hydrate 80 to treat the exposed surface, and then paint / underseal over that. (Dynax S-50)

I did what you done, checked it again after a year and it had gotten crusty again.

Thanks for the input bud. It's taken 15 years and 120000 miles to get to that state, and it's still solid. The car is also garaged and only used once a week. Unfortunately, I don't have an angle grinder. Thinking back I should have got the wire wheel on it, but hey ho! I'll keep tabs on it, but will likely buy a replacement bar next time round. :smt023

Last edited by a moderator:
Great work :D loving this thread and nice to see the effort going into the rust battle. Look forward to seeing more updates.

Great work :D loving this thread and nice to see the effort going into the rust battle. Look forward to seeing more updates.

Thanks mate! Currently on the hunt for some Anniversary / Premier Recaro seats, but not in any rush, see what comes up :)

Cracking thread and progress. Just sat and read it from the start. Nice work!

Cheers buddy, really appreciate the comments and taking the time to read the whole thread :smt023

More to come...... :)

Right then, time for another update. I've been searching for some Premier Recaro seats for a while now, with little luck in finding a set. Up until recently that is....

Found a pair in good condition, with all the tilt levers present. Only thing missing was the triangular type adjuster wheel on the driver seat. This didn't bother me, as replacements are readily available.

So, seats as received, merely unpacked:

aDqGDcp.jpg

vacuumed the seats and cracked out the Woolite, and got to work:

wTNcH2o.jpg

They didn't look that dirty!!

Next, I turned my attention to the seatbelt clips, in which, the 'PRESS' lettering was full of grime:

o3JxASs.jpg

And cleaned, looking much better:

ifsRHPi.jpg

I got the replacement adjuster wheel ordered, which turned up pretty quickly:

YN6F1eZ.jpg

and fitted:

6ouZUMy.jpg

To finish off, I used autoglym vinyl & rubber care on the seat plastics to give them a clean and a restored finish. Seats finished and ready to fit to the car:

AdvHtRa.jpg

Old seats out, and also took the opportunity to vac the carpets while the seats were out:

zwmC8Bm.jpg

Recaro seats then fitted:

QZYB9Gx.jpg

rdzmzqr.jpg

Tr1Y94V.jpg

oDVZdnA.jpg

Ix3SIky.jpg

Pretty happy with them. Took the car out for a drive. They hug more than my old face lift seats and feel like you sit lower in them, and more 'in the car'. Great seats :smt023

ttfn! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
A smaller update this time!

First off, Type R key ring. Just because :p

jTLC8cz.jpg

Secondly, bought a strut brace off the bay of E. Only £60 and thought it can't do any harm, so got it ordered:

cxTR6Br.jpg

Thinking, ah, it's ony 6 bolts. 10 minute job! What a bastid trying to get the mounts fitted. Had plastic cowling interference on the passenger side, then same again on drivers side plus air con pipe in the way :rolleyes:

After a lot of persuasion / swearing and a bruised thumbnail, I won! :lol:

Le fruits de labour:

NotjO5o.jpg

dk783ys.jpg

GFfZorb.jpg

I'm sure there'll be more to come..... :smt023

Back