• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 2019 FK8 Infotainment System

My main gripe with my Honda is the touch screen on my 2018 FK8. Downright bloody dangerous and I now see the 2019 FK8 has push buttons and a rotary volume control. I would like to get a new head unit but will it fit a 2018 FK8 and how much would it cost? Any Honda UK people willing to comment?

My main gripe with my Honda is the touch screen on my 2018 FK8. Downright bloody dangerous and I now see the 2019 FK8 has push buttons and a rotary volume control. I would like to get a new head unit but will it fit a 2018 FK8 and how much would it cost? Any Honda UK people willing to comment?

The new head unit seems to be US only, and in my opinion it's a bit crap (not the the old one is any good either... I was happy using Android Auto 100% with the steering wheel controls 100% of the time!). No idea why the didn't implement the one seen in the new Accord (search 2018 Honda Accord infotainment in YouTube).

This topic is interesting. Personally I find the OEM fine once I plug in the phone and it plays my podcasts and if I'm using sat nav it's great. I think those that grumble about the infotainment should just live with it for a month or 2, then they would realise its just a distraction and does nothing to detract from the experience. If you're looking for AMG levels of interaction with augmented sat nav etc, look elsewhere. I had a 106 rallye and the only thing digital was the clock. I appreciate things have moved on and buyers of a hot hatch want it all but there is a reason they supply this bog standard system global, i.e. it's the first thing Japanese swap out

If you think the Honda infotainment system is bad, the one in the 2019 Focus I’ve got on hire is utterly shocking.

It takes forever to play your iPod via USB and that’s if it actually detects it. It randomly turns the ‘audio’ function off. Similarly Car Play doesn’t like to load when plugged in. The touchscreen may be quite responsive but the interface is rubbish. In fact today the whole system stopped working whilst I was on hands free.

As a result I’m rather glad about the less responsive Honda unit...at least it works as designed even if it is not as good as others on the market.

FWIW, I'm using the new Android Auto (beta?)
It's miles better than previous version and, although this might be my imagination, I'm convinced the screen appears to be more responsive when using it.

I suggest you give it a try.

N.

FWIW, I'm using the new Android Auto (beta?)
It's miles better than previous version and, although this might be my imagination, I'm convinced the screen appears to be more responsive when using it.

I suggest you give it a try.

N.

yes I agree, I also like the fact the album cover "artwork" and track title now displays on the main dash if you're playing tunes from Spotify (obv. you need the Tunes menu selected). before it was just the track title and the Android Auto logo.

nice little update I think the layout screen looks cleaner too and you can see spotify information while navigating on google maps (and vice versa)

.............................................................I think those that grumble about the infotainment should just live with it for a month or 2, then they would realise its just a distraction and does nothing to detract from the experience..................there is a reason they supply this bog standard system global, i.e. it's the first thing Japanese swap out

Before taking delivery of my '15 GK Fit, many first time buyers were looking for a separate volume button. This Issue was solved in the '18 MY.
For me, I agree with FNMan, spend time and you'll realize it is a decent system for the money. Took me 1 week after delivery to accept that the steering controls were actually faster than reaching over to adjust knobs.
Am thankful that technology has brought me forward from the days of listening to the single speakered radio in my previous '67 MG Midget 1275cc.

What niggles me about the system (2019) is that is doesn't remember what you had on last, you have to start again every time you start the car!!!

My wife has an old iPod permanently plugged into the USB behind the gearstick, I just use the charging pad for my iPhone.
So we either use the radio or the music on the iPod.
Either way you have to start pressing buttons to see anything on the screen!
If I leave the car with the radio on why can't that screen still be there when I start the car up again!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah same, mine presents a blank screen on startup saying it's not found the Android phone - der, it's because I haven't connected the damn thing.... ideally it would look first for the Android phone and then and only then default to the home screen or DAB preset 1.

i just plug the blower back in and it plays 'smooth jazz' from where I left off

not sure if I am understanding right though. Either way, quirks add character :D

yeah same, mine presents a blank screen on startup saying it's not found the Android phone - der, it's because I haven't connected the damn thing.... ideally it would look first for the Android phone and then and only then default to the home screen or DAB preset 1.

I noticed this today having now driven it for a few days. I agree it is odd. The pioneer head unit in my FN2 registers the song I’m playing through CarPlay and then when disconnected it still remembers and I can play the song through the Bluetooth connection instead which is pretty cool.

Sort of agree with the other comments made how there is plenty worse out there. I don’t think it’s bad at all but the only 2 things I’ll use is DAB and CarPlay. The DAB really is excellent I think. The reception is much better than the unit I fitted in the FN2.

Sorry if this has been covered already somewhere but is it possible to have the incoming call ringing volume and actual voice volume set differently (I'm using CarPlay and realise it might actually be a setting on the iPhone)?

I find if I turn the volume up so I can hear the person who's called me clearly (say around 25-30), the next time the phone rings in the car and played through the speakers it's absolutely deafening and instinctively turn the volume down to about 12-15 and then I can't hear the person on the other end...

Back