• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Spoon Calipers for FN2 or Freakyparts Brembo kit

Hi, can anyone tell me if the Spoon calipers are a worthy upgrade for braking. I do the odd track day (maybe 5/6 a year) and even with braided lines and PBS pads the braking is the weak point on the car.

I love the look of the spoon and I have a DSB FN2 so they would suit and I've also had a bit of trouble sourcing the brembos from FParts in the past (stock issue) so I'm a bit wary of this avenue.

BUT, i don't want to spend over £1k on the spoon if the benefits not there and when I can get what looks/sounds better (ie bigger calipers/discs set) from Fparts for less than 1k all in.

They are a great caliper, monoblock construction and are very rigid compared to the cheaper Brembo calipers. Whether they're worth the cost or not I don't know, you may be able to do an RS brake conversions or similar.

Thanks Chris, yes the RS conversion is the alternative FParts piece I'm looking at but I'd sooner have the Spoon "IF" they are better/as good as the RS and bigger disc set up (which i'm guessing they aren't).

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I don't know a great deal about the RS conversion and which specific caliper it is that it uses. I've always gone full custom however the price will of course increase. I did run Spoon on my S2000 without any major issue. You should be looking at a larger disc though, such as 320mm minimum.

Another alternative is the two Stoptech kits available for the fn2 through ABP motorsport - 'Touring' which is same diameter disc as OEM but thicker, and the 'BBK' which is larger diameter.

I had the 'touring' and felt it was great, though no track work.

You tend to get what you pay for with brake kits. Stoptech have been proven time and time again on these cars.

I had the freaky parts Brembo kit with pbs pads on my FN2 and it was a night and day improvement over stock. Only used it on track for 5-6 laps at Cadwell as I got motion sick riding passenger in my mates Elise and couldn’t go out any more! But they held up great with excellent stopping power and feel with no judder or fade.

The stock setup would quickly overheat on track and end up leaving pad deposits in the disc even with CL 5+ pads and road tires.

I’d also make sure you don’t neglect updated rear pads, although the front does most of the work more bite at the back pulls the balance back slightly and helps with heat at the front.

For the sake of transparency I am selling my freaky parts Brembo setup on civinfo as I’ve bought an FK8 so probably don’t just take my work for it but I’m sure someone will be along to back up my experiences.

I looked into a brake set up for my ep3 and read all the reviews and went in in the brembo and did not rate them at all ,never tried stoptec but I spent the extra money and had ap brakes awesome buy once do it correct .

I looked into a brake set up for my ep3 and read all the reviews and went in in the brembo and did not rate them at all ,never tried stoptec but I spent the extra money and had ap brakes awesome buy once do it correct .

Thanks, where did you source them from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What didn’t you like about the brembo’s?

Just to add to this. I went from standard calipers with pbs pads to the k system pro Renault brembos with Carbotech pads. Night and day difference. I was getting brake fade even with the pbs pads, you could tell they were struggling when too heavy on the brakes.

Since the new ones, not a single bit of fade or sign of giving up. The hotter they get the more they bite. For the money they charge for the kit I can't see any reason to go bigger or better personally. The 350z discs are easy to source and the Renault pads have a good selection that aren't stupidly priced.

Just another opinion to add to help make your decision.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

Just to add to this. I went from standard calipers with pbs pads to the k system pro Renault brembos with Carbotech pads. Night and day difference. I was getting brake fade even with the pbs pads, you could tell they were struggling when too heavy on the brakes.

Since the new ones, not a single bit of fade or sign of giving up. The hotter they get the more they bite. For the money they charge for the kit I can't see any reason to go bigger or better personally. The 350z discs are easy to source and the Renault pads have a good selection that aren't stupidly priced.

Just another opinion to add to help make your decision.

Thanks norv, they’re like a grand aren’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were when I got them. I can't fault the set up for what I need, so I think it's a good value brake upgrade.

I think they use newer calipers now which are meant to be a slight upgrade (lighter and more rigid) over the previous ones.

The k system setup and the freaky parts setup are basically the same. Same calipers, but slightly smaller discs 320x28 compared to 324x30. The big advantage of the freaky parts kit for me was that they are UK based if you have any problems.

I think the only difference is the discs. The bigger ones are from a 350z and the smaller from a Nissan morano (maybe?) which are only a tad smaller and much cheaper to buy replacements.

I'd be happy buying from either, when the k system ones came about they were very good at sorting problems and updating parts for the kits. Also quick to respond to emails.

Back