• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Key fob playing up

I had the battery out for several hours today and now the key fob remote is not working properly. I have to use the key to unlock and lock the car, no alarm going off. What's happened? Do I need to rematch the fob to the car by doing the ignition on, press lock and repeat process?

I had the battery out for several hours today and now the key fob remote is not working properly. I have to use the key to unlock and lock the car, no alarm going off. What's happened? Do I need to rematch the fob to the car by doing the ignition on, press lock and repeat process?

Hi Flashy yes i think you will have to pair it again :)

Cheers, I'll give it a go. It's weird, press the fob and the indicators flash but the locks don't open or close. They make a slight clunk noise and move a couple of mm.
The boot won't open at all, even with the key. I just plugged the obd2 in, no fault codes. I just managed to lock the car with the fob after running the engine for ten minutes:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Usually you only get about 10 secs to swap over the fob battery before it loses coding.

Best to have new one out of the packaging and ready to swap asap.

Or did you leave the key in the ignition while you took out the car battery?
in which case it's a recoding job.

Ok, it's working randomly which makes me believe it's an earthing issue. With the car running I checked the brake lights, fine. Indicators, fine. Side lights, fine. Headlights, fine. Indicate left with headlights on and the indicator doesn't blink, it stays lit and the headlight goes off.
I took the wheel off again and got under the arch liner. The injen bolts at an earthing point for the lights etc. I undid it and cleaned around the earthing point. All back together and so far all seems to be working. Fingers crossed.

Back