• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Info on Brake upgrades

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my brakes but don't want to go mad spending loads of money as the car is only used on weekends.

Going back to the EP3 from my much more modern car I just don't feel too confident with the braking power.

Would I see a big difference with just different pads? if so which ones would you all recommend?

nice one :)

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade my brakes but don't want to go mad spending loads of money as the car is only used on weekends.

Going back to the EP3 from my much more modern car I just don't feel too confident with the braking power.

Would I see a big difference with just different pads? if so which ones would you all recommend?

You're right, the brakes are the weakest point on the car.

Quite under servo'd too compared to modern stuff.

DS2500 pads are widely used and loved :smt004

No, they're not. Loads of people don't use them anymore.

Sorry I beg to differ. It's the pad of choice for anyone serious about brakes.

If and when a better pad comes out I'll be happy to jump ship and give it my recommendation.

Not trying to be a dick about it, I'm just very picky about what I fit to my car. It has to be the best.

I had ds2500 then pbs back to back on the same track a month later with the same fluid. The difference was pretty big between them. Ds2500 were fading very obviously after 2 or 3 laps and I had 2 of the moments when you chew through your drivers seat and the pedal sinks with no braking. They also left pad residue in the discs which would take a few days to clear again after a track day.

Pbs would last another 2 or 3 laps before any fade was apparent and I never had them to the point of failure. I'd definitely recommend them over the ds2500 as a track pad.

Since then I've gone to Renault brembos with Carbotech pads and I've never even got them to fade at all yet. So very happy with these.

Sent from my Mi MIX 2 using Tapatalk

I've ran DS2500 back to back against most of the top end pads. They're probably the worst of the lot. I'd use them on the rear but never again on the front.

Similar feedback is quite evident on any forum with people who go on track, M3 Cutters, Renault RS, MLR, even on Pistonheads. Plus those I go on track days with have the same feelings.

I genuinely think Partyvan works for Ferodo or is sponsored by them because nothing else explains his constant rhetoric.

Each to their own I suppose. My findings were on the contrary.

Managed an 8:12 on the Ring with an EP3, on DS2500's. Zero fade in 6 hard laps.

Pads will be of personal choice, Ive never tracked so cant comment on best pads, I do have RBF 600 fluid and RPB lines and they have made the brakes 10x better. Im still using RPB discs too maybe overkill for road use but I find them great.
Currently using Dixcel ES pads as its for road use but Im not a huge fan of them so will be changing them at some point, but yeah defo get some decent fluid and lines.

Pads will be of personal choice, Ive never tracked so cant comment on best pads, I do have RBF 600 fluid and RPB lines and they have made the brakes 10x better. Im still using RPB discs too maybe overkill for road use but I find them great.
Currently using Dixcel ES pads as its for road use but Im not a huge fan of them so will be changing them at some point, but yeah defo get some decent fluid and lines.

Awesome, just noticed your location? which valley are you in, I'm from Pontypridd but living in Caerphilly now?

Brake pad choice is down a lot to personal preference and sometimes you’ve got to try a few to find one that suits your needs/style. One type may work for one but not for another.
My experience with the DS2500 is the braking power they provide is good. But they wear out quickly and when overheated will put pad deposits on the discs and cause some brake judder. They’d suit fine for fast road and track use if you’re not a brake abuser.
I’ve since used Carbotech XP8 and XP10 and they suit my needs. The price tag is a little high and probably overkill for a road car.
PBS are raved about and are at a good price. I cannot comment on their performance.
I’ve driven cars with CL brakes (Carbone Lorraine) and they felt good but by no means was pushing hard enough to really test them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I run Accord twin pot calipers on my EP3 with accord discs, worthy upgrade. Its on my build thread , straight swap apart from cutting dust shield.Page 12 if you don't want to read entire thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back