• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 FK8 Tyre - Screw Through Edge - Options

I've had my FK8 since march and it's simply the most fun car I have ever had!!

Unfortunately, this is my second puncture, both due to screws! Beginning to think i've upset someone :mad:

First one was in the middle of the tyre and was a simple repair, but this one is right on the inside edge.

If there was a spare wheel, there is a chance I could have gone for a hot vulcanised repair for £25. But no spare wheel and not really being able to prop the car up on 3 three wheels for a week (sloped drive) makes this difficult, not to mention the risk of the damage to the rim.

Looks like I am stuck with getting hold of a replacement tyre, but even that is proving difficult. No stock Camskill and none of the tyre fitters seem to be able to confirm that it is the right Honda-specific tyre. Some national companies have been borderline rude when I tried to explain that I needed a particular version of the SP6. Was thinking of switching to different tyres, when the time came, but I am only 1500 into this set and loads of tread left.

I'm based in Hertford-area, does anyone have a recommendation for a friendly tyre fitter or any other bright ideas!

897388AC-F375-45ED-AC51-0A85A79A6ECD.PNG

yeah, I had two in two weeks so feel your pain. They won't 'officially' repair it with a plug due to the positions, so it looks like a new one. I say 'officially' as I paid a chap cash in hand to do it off the books and he did. Looking back it wasn't a great example of self preservation, but I thought the position was fine but was just outside the ruler they apply... Anyway, it got a puncture and was replaced so academic now. :D

As you know there is the lipped and non lipped. Mine came with the lipped, but then I struggled massively getting a replacement . Dream spoke with Continental and they were not sure when they were doing the lipped ones again. I have a non lipped on with three lipped, and to be honest it's fine now although it bothered me at the start...

This is an absolute nightmare!

Managed to order a tyre at a local place, having assured it was the right one. Just called to confirm and now I’m told it has a different part number.

Apparently FK8 has Continental part 03589470000, which is rated for up to 186 mph. Listed as 90Y, no brackets.

The tyre that arrived is Continental part 0358780000, rated for over 186 mph. Listed as (90Y), note the brackets.

Both have rim protection, but not sure if the speed rating will make any noticeable difference to me.

Current tyre is mostly holding in the air! It was only after TPMS went off for the second time that I found the screw. It’s probably been there 3 weeks!

bought just the one? very unrecommended to run part worn & new on same axle. TPMS is very sensititve so i'm expecting you to see problems with that due to different rolling radius.

fwiw, brackets mean nothing with tyres. number is load, letter is speed class.

speaking from experience, don't get too hung up on getting exactly the tyre you want. manufacturers will replace, revise and end tyre models.

Good point about the TPMS.

I was planning on getting just 1 new tyre. Currently only done 1500 miles and not too much wear.

Another option is to get a part worn via eBay (local-ish) with 5 mm tread left.

Was hoping to get the one with the he patch via hot vulcanising process and could put it back on if TPMS is not happy.

Would rather avoid 2 tyres at £200 each, but the part worn route with 2 tyre changes and a repair probably cost £130

Not sure what’s best. Do not really want to take any risks

Update........

My hand was forced this morning, after I found the tyre pretty much flat. Managed to get enough air into it to crawl over to the fitters.

Was planning to view the tyre that the local fitters had sourced, but decided to just bit the bullet and go with it.

Lip is definitely smaller when on the wheel, but looked huge before it went on!

So, I'm £200 down, but will be getting the other repaired for £25 and will have a spare for my next puncture.

Big thanks to allycooke for offering to help.

Fingers crossed the TPMS does not give me any grief.

The good news is that other than the screw through the old tyre, it looked pretty good and minimal wear.

I'm obviously not driving it hard enough - plan to start putting that right tonight

Yep, lips deceiving, thought it looked fine off the wheel, but noticeably smaller on..

Glad u got it sorted, til the next time :D

Back