• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Handbrake cable brake binding HELP

Hi people I have an issue with my ep3, I get an annoying noise from rear brakes when driving as me and mechanic found today an issue with the handbrake cable when letting off it still binds a little we could see this behind the rear calliper on passenger side.he recommended new cables for both sides so they both stay right for the foreseeable future.

I see they are 80 each side he will charge 50 to install both.

Anyone used the eBay cables ?

Can the cables currently fitted be made to function correctly.

Are you, first of all, sure that the slide pins on the rear calipers aren't sticking?

Have you lifted the centre console section that sits over the handbrake lever and loosened the adjuster so that there's free play in the handbrake lever, does it still bind?

Have you unhooked the cables from the rear calipers, is the issue still present?

Hi mate we had the car up in air on ramp he used a pry bar on the bit the cable goes into roughly on the calliper and when handbrake on it does not release causing it to bind so when handbrake off it kinda remains binding a little bit

Has someone (previous service, overzealous brake pad replacement mechanic, etc.) possibly adjusted the handbrake so there's no free play at all in the handle?

With the rear brake partially continuously applied that could also mean parts of it have overheated.

If the cable itself is undamaged, then the only reason for replacing the cable (usually) is if it's stretched so much that doing the adjustment at the handbrake lever is no longer possible or is so unbalanced with the other side that the bias between left and right tips too far.

If you have the money to put into this (and you don't mind doing so) great, but I suspect one of two outcomes. The first is that this will fix the issue, but only because of the adjustment necessary when it's being installed (the same adjustment I'm suggesting above). The second is that it might not due to the other possible issues raised. On the plus side you'd have two new handbrake cables with no rust on their supports at least I guess.

See here https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?56156-Tighten-EP3-Handbrake for how to do the adjustment if you weren't aware already.

I did notice when handbrake is applied the passenger side cable pulls back further then driver side.

So that little bracket it is fixed too sits on the ****

My money would be that the handbrake part on the rear caliper is sticking and not the cable itself. Had it happen on my last set of rear calipers.

With the handbrake off the lever part on the caliper does not return thus keeping pressure on the rear pad. I got away with cleaning the spring on the caliper for a bit but had to replace it eventually.

Hi mate I did lightly clean the spring yesterday as covered in **** I used wd but I will try tomorrow a proper go with some 3 in 1 oil see how I get on and report back and work the part back and fourth try to free it up.

Your the guy on YouTube I like your videos man and cheers to both you guys on advise.

Back