• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 suspension knocking

hi folks
hope I'm in the right forum :lol:

I got my EP3 in late march this year and already put a lot of money and work in it. So far every penny was worth it, but there's one thing that I somehow cant get rid of.

When I got the car there was a knocking noise when going over bumps on the front right side. First thing I changed was the shock absorbers and top mounts. Car felt way better after that, but the sound wasnt quite gone yet.
I had a closer look at everything and it seemed that the balljoint on the right side and the lower arm on the left side were faulty. So I decided to just replace everything. And when I say everything, I mean everything! So pretty much everything in the front is new now
- Shock absorbers (Kyb)
- top mounts (Kyb)
- lower arms (Ashuki)
- balljoints (Ashuki)
- drop links (Febi)
And then a week later:
- track tie rod (Meyle)
- track tie rod ends (Febi)
After replacing all these parts the front right side is now dead silent - no knocking anymore. However it seems the noise has moved over to the left side now. I checked everything again recently but everything seems to be in a great condition (as it should be!).
Any ideas where this could come from?
The droplinks were kinda cheap, maybe I should replace them again.
Apart from that while replacing the tie rod I noticed that the outer CV joint was leaking. I filled it up and sealed it, and so far its still dry. But a noise like that wouldnt make much sense comming from the cv joint, would it?

I'd be thankful for any kind of tip or help!
(and sorry for any mistakes in my text - I'm not a native english speaker)

Have you checked the driveshaft cv joint for play? Might be worth checking the engine mounts too

Never thought about the engine mounts to be honest.

Didn't check the cv joint for play yet, didn't have time for it yet. Its on the list

Hi! Another acquired english speaker here :) I'm not a suspension expert, but I can share how my mate looks for faulty bits, he works in a suspension shop. Get the car up on stands, maybe a lift, if you have access to one. Get yourself a long piece of metal, a crowbar for example, and start flexing-moving various parts of the suspension around. Listen carefully for knocking sounds, you can also feel it with your hands, if you hit the right spot. It might take a while, but you should find everything eventually. Check all joints, bushings, engine mounts, gearbox mount, etc. If you are looking to buy droplinks, I definately recommend Hardrace. Cheaper, than stock, but awesome quality, and they are reinforced.

Finally, if you feel like it, you should create a thread for your EP3 in the members' cars section, I'd love to read about it.

Here's an unusual one - brake pad retaining clip!

This caused me the same problems, after changing the same parts!

Thanks for the tips!
Brakes (Pads and discs) have been replaced aswell, knocking still there.

A crowbar is what I and a friend of mine whos a mechanic used to track down the noise - didnt find a thing.
My guess is that either the shocks or top mounts are faulty or its comming from the outer CV joint. Thats what I'm going to check next as soon as I have the time for it :D
I'll try having a look at the enginemounts aswell.

yeah I might start a thread about my car later ;)

Engine mounts are common problems on EP3's. I'd suggest replacing them if they are split instead of just putting inserts in them like some people do.

Back