• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Powder coating, enamel paint, or epoxy?

Hi Guys!

I will have my OEM alloys refurbished soon, and was wondering which method to use. I want them to be white. A collegue gave me some advice, as he is an expert in surface treatment, and we came up with 3 possibilities

- powder coating: probably the thickest solution, I would have to watch the tyre fitment, because they can slip, if the layer gets too thick, where the wheel and tyre meet
- enamel paint/lacquer, whatever it's called. Base coat, sprayed on, then baked in an oven. Thinner, than powder coating, but very hard material.
- epoxy: don't know much about this one, resin istead of paint, might be more flexible, thus durable.

If you have any experience with these, please tell me which method you would use and why.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would completely discount powder coating if there is even the slightest risk of the tyre slipping if the company applying it did it wrong / layered it too thick.

I have had many wheels refurbished via option two, very long lasting finish if the company you use is good at what they do.

Have no experience with epoxy as a wheel finish.

I've never had issue with powdercoated wheels on various track cars.

At £20 a rim, it's very good value too.

I've never had issue with powdercoated wheels on various track cars.

At £20 a rim, it's very good value too.

Did they mask off the parts where the tyre grips the wheel? Is it necessary? I am not sure about this slipping bit, I was just told by the collegue.

I used to powder coat stuff. If they are putting that much paint on a rim that it's causing the tyre to slip, they are doing something seriously wrong. Powder coating works by by a static charge attracting the paint to the metal object you want to coat. The charge applied is so minimal you should never get a coating more than 3mm. So 6mm maximum across the diameter. You should never have a problem with tyre slip.

Back