• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Loose shifter mechanism EP3

Hi!

I've had a loose shifter on my car for quite some time now, but after driving a mate's EP3, I really felt the difference in the tightness of the shifts and want to restore my car to the same level.

I ordered a Revo short shifter in hopes that it would fix it, but the OEM one it replaced looked fine, the cables had no slack either. After further inspection I realized that the shift selector on top of the tranny has serious play in it (mainly the one that moves front-back, at least 10-15mm). I do not have any experience with the inside workings of a transmission, so I'd really appreciate some insight if someone has faced a similar issue before.

Could it be broken/worn springs inside the shift selector assembly or does this imply an issue with the selector forks?

(Regardless of the play in the shifter, the car engages all gears without an issue, be it coldstart, city driving or high RPM scenarios.)

Thank you for your answers!

It's not a huge job to remove the selector unit from the box. A few bolts and pop the cables off. There are some stronger springs available to help make the gear pattern more precise, but once it's removed you should be able to see if there's any excessive play in any pivots or bushes.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

The cable end bushings are fine, are there any inside the gear selector mechanism that could wear out?

It was indeed the springs, I ordered some Acuity ones from Tegiwa, they are not much stiffer than OEM.

I saw nothing wrong with the shifter mechanism or the original springs that were in there, but as soon as I changed them the slop disappeared, now my shifter feels amazing, especially paired with the Revo SS.

Glad to hear you're all sorted. Good as new now I hope.

Sent from my Mi MIX 3 using Tapatalk

Back