• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Ep3 idle drops to 500rpm

Hi people my ep3 idles about 1500rpm cold and about 900rpm when warm but I noticed that when you rev the car it drops to around 500rpm then Goes up to roughly 900rpm then settles.

I don’t like the fact it does this any ideas on a cure.

Step by step instructions would be nice if possible any stories of a simple fix are appreciated.

Gonna try resetting handbrake tomorrow as it binds and this is another thing on my to do list tomorrow.

If my memory is correct there's a set screw on the throttle body you can use to adjust the idle.

To do an ECU reset: Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the #6 ECU (ECM) fuse (15A) from the engine bay fuse box for 10 seconds.

To do the idle-learn: from cold, make sure that all electrical stuff is off (air con, radio, lights, rear demister, etc.), turn the car to ON and wait for at least 2 seconds, start the engine then hold revs at 3000rpm until the fan kicks in, take your foot off the accelerator and let it idle for 5mins. Done

You'll annoy your neighbours because the fan doesn't kick in until the engine's warm, but hopefully that will help.

Resetting the ECU will also mean the long-term fuel trim will be lost which means it'll take a while (a few hundred miles maybe) until its fuel use and general behaviour settles again.

Back