• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 600 miles in and gearbox concerns...

Morning all...

Picked up my ex-demo Fk8 on the 20th with a whopping 560 miles on the clock.

Love the car, such a complete hot hatch!

Anyway since putting deposit on the car I joined the forum and spent a lot of time reading threads and watching reviews...

From what I can gather in general its a very reliable typical Honda, with a few having the usual issues of build quality. And a few with gearbox issues.

Now my concerns.. over the first few hundred miles occasionally going into 3rd would take 2 attempts. I found I'd push the stick down the gate halfway and just be solid knowing it wasn't fully engaged I never took off clutch and pulled stick out and then pushed it back in and went in fine. Now this has only happened probably 3/4 times and although not ideal I can kind of cope with it.
But last Friday I went into 4th from 3rd at prob medium throttle so maybe 4.5 k revs and it crunched! as soon as it happened I hadn't moved my left foot and pressed harder and was clear it was flat on the floor. took it back to neutral and back in and it went in no problem.

More commonly it does feel a little notchy going into 3rd/4th, again this isn't really an issue and would probably be brushed aside by Honda "that's normal"
Main problem is that I doubt I could get it to replicate the main issues on a test drive as it has only crunched once and been "sticky" going into 3rd a few times..

I have emailed the salesman to log it and he has said if I want them to take a look at it I can book it in....

Has anyone had these symptoms and is there anything obviously more sinister to look at??

I fixed my crunching issue with 2nd gear by adjusting the clutch pedal free play correctly, the dealer looked at mine twice and did nothing saying "they all do that".

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

How on earth did you do that?
It is quite simple and only takes a couple of minutes, I am not saying that is your issue but it was for me.

Basically you slackened off the locknut on the clutch push rod and take the slack out of it then lock it back up again.

If you are around north Manchester I would be happy to take a look.

Cool thanks.. am in Carlisle but my sister is in Stockport and maybe going to Chorley next week or so...

Cool thanks.. am in Carlisle but my sister is in Stockport and maybe going to Chorley next week or so...
Drop me a pm if you want to meet up, I work in Oldham and live in Rochdale.

you've definitely done the right thing to log it. I wouldn't bother with the salesbloke though, I'd get on first name terms with the Service Manager.

I'd also start doing a log (of all experience and calls into the dealer/honda UK) and if you can do some in car video, as one day it'll happen and hopefully you'll have some evidence to back it up. if you've got plenty of time on your hands you might wanna read my heart-warming "war and peace" story here with my first car R-03344 which had quite some problems...includes YouTube links to the original "lock out" and then "pop out" when the 1st time repair didn't work out as hoped.

glad to say R-014874 is behaving itself ...I just need to remember the gearbox does feel a bit draggy and stiff on start-up and to give it few mins to get everything warmed up nicely.

the full Tale of Woe: https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/...s-FK8-Tale-of-Woe-4th-gear-lockout-and-popout

I would certainly echo the comments above around making sure the car is up to temperature and also mention that I think it does improve after a bit more running in. Certainly never had a problem actually engaging gear though so make sure the dealer is kept well up to date.

I'm 2500 miles in now and the gearbox has certainly improved with running in and some spirited driving. I was a little worried when it was brand new (my car arrived to me with less than 10 miles on the clock) as it was pretty tight but it has freed up nicely.

8k on mine now and getting better, once I adjusted the clutch it stopping snicking 2nd gear.

Mine did it for about 2k, all good now. A lot of it was finding the “optimum” clutch position for gear changes.

I alway let the car thoroughly warm up and increase revs in line with engine heat .. (still don't get why oil temp gauge isn't standard on performance cars)..

As it randomly happens it happens when hot or cold ... But will keep an eye on it. Maybe the clutch position thingymajig does need adjusted

Last edited by a moderator:
I alway let the car thoroughly warm up and increase revs in line with engine heat .. (still don't get why oil temp gauge isn't standard on performance cars)..

As it randomly happens it happens when hot or cold ... But will keep an eye on it. Maybe the clutch position thingymajig does need adjusted

You won't find it this time of year (while the ambient temps are higher) but certainly come winter when it's frozen (gear) knob season :lol: you'll notice the gear shift feels even more draggy.

I think it's right to say the gearbox oil will take longer to warm up than both the engine oil and the water (coolant) temperature gauge we do have on the dash and so it's actually going through a few shifts that's needed to gets things warmed up for the gearshift to become more positive.

You won't find it this time of year (while the ambient temps are higher) but certainly come winter when it's frozen (gear) knob season :lol: you'll notice the gear shift feels even more draggy.

I think it's right to say the gearbox oil will take longer to warm up than both the engine oil and the water (coolant) temperature gauge we do have on the dash and so it's actually going through a few shifts that's needed to gets things warmed up for the gearshift to become more positive.
^^^^^^^^^
This for sure

I'd happily drive it if you want and you can drive mine for comparison. I don't hang around when it comes to my car and had no issues with the gear box. I'd agree with everyone else though when cold it is a bit well agricultural, I have never launched the car or abused first to second, it feels weak and traction isn't great so never bother.

You must come over, drive Hartside, be a good crak:)

Back