• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Re spraying Individual panels

How do bodyshops do it these days, is it with two pack paint? I need a door on my FN2 re-painting and having been to one bodyshop for an estimate, they said they would need to blend in on the rear 3/4 panel. I said no, because there's no damage to that part of the car. Anyway, I have a few weeks to go elsewhere for other estimates, but I would like to know a bit about what I'm talking about when it come to the painting process.

It is normal to blend in to the next panel.
The door will have nice shiny new paint and the rear 3/4 will be old paint which may have faded or be scratched.
Surprised they didn't want to blow into the front wing as well.

Well that's exactly what they said. I did ask for an estimate to do the bonnet & wings aswell, but as the passenger door has a lot of door marks on it that have removed the Black paint, that is of the utmost urgency because it pains me to look at it now. The rear 3/4's are v.good with no scratches(touch wood) or faded paint.

I am of the impression that the method will be flatten the original paint, then spray two new coats of NHB over that, then lacquer on top. At least that what I hope is the method used.

If it’s not blended in it will stick out like a sore thumb.

If you don’t have it blended, it’ll look like a new door and stick out like a sore thumb.

If you don’t have it blended, it’ll look like a new door and stick out like a sore thumb.

true
id be more worried if a painter told you he was just going to paint the door
the guy sounds like he knows what he is doing
i stupidly opened the door of my previous astra vxr onto the door of a skip when it was just 3 days old
the damage was just 5 pence size but the body shop i took it to filled and resprayed most of the drivers door and a fair bit of the rear quarter panel to blend the paint
result was perfect

Thanks for the advice re blending the paint. I've still to get round to having it sorted out. Next time I go in for a chat about the doors, I'll know more about the process and can decide what I'd like done.

Back