• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Civic type r ep3 temperature control (not blowing heat)

Hello.
Before my temperature control switch has been stiff when going far red or far blue. One morning I turned it all the way red, and heard a small snap inside. I opened center console and the wire seems fine and moves. The switch feels loose now though when turning to red and stiff when to blue. Heater doesnt blow warm anymore. Ideas?

Edit: I heard another snap and its not stiff anymore after turning to blue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! What you have is a common problem in MK7 Civics in general, your heater valve probably seized. This is why your temp control switch is stiff, and when you heard the snap, either the cables going to the heater valve snapped, or the switch itself did. If you look at the picture, the blue marker is, where the 2 hoses for your heater core are connected at the firewall. If you follow the top hose along, after about 10 inches, you will see the heater valve (red marker). If not seized, you should be able to turn it by hand with little effort. I'm guessing it's seized, so you will have to replace it, should be a fairly simple job, just drain the coolant first. Other than this, I think you need to check the 2 cables going to the temp switch, and the back of the temp switch as well, by taking out the centre console, so you can see what else needs changing.

This will help alot, thanks. You said there are 2 cables going to the temp switch, I only saw one behind the centre console after I opened it the first time. Should there be 2?

Yeah, the valve appears to be stiff. The cable pulls it to cold but doesnt have enough force to push the valve back to warm.

Back