• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 EP3 dash removal

My heater core is clogged, I want to replace it before the cold sets in, because I have not had much heating, if any in the car since I bought it. For this, I need to remove the entirety of the front dash, along with many things. I've never done this before, but I know it's a long and tough job. Has anyone here done this? Should I brave it, or should I leave it to a professional.

Not really a big job. If I remember correctly, you can remove the centre part that surrounds the radio and heater vents separately, without removing any more of the dash.

Will I be able to get to the venting box and heater core with just the center console out?

Did you do this in the end Vikta? My heater is useless! I was considering replacing my heater core too. I was also wondering if doing a thorough water coolant change would help at all.

I have not done it yet. My income dropped to less than half of what it used to be, so most of my plans are currently pending. I haven't even bought winter tyres, because I am planning on using my girlfriend's little car during winter. I changed the coolant after I bought the car, and that helped a bit, but the heater core needs to be replaced, I'm sure, after seeing what came out of the cooling system... I even tried to flush the heater core, but it didn't help. Maybe it would be worth trying some cooling system cleaner, but I dared not, because they are quite acidic/corrosive.

I have not done it yet. My income dropped to less than half of what it used to be, so most of my plans are currently pending. I haven't even bought winter tyres, because I am planning on using my girlfriend's little car during winter. I changed the coolant after I bought the car, and that helped a bit, but the heater core needs to be replaced, I'm sure, after seeing what came out of the cooling system... I even tried to flush the heater core, but it didn't help. Maybe it would be worth trying some cooling system cleaner, but I dared not, because they are quite acidic/corrosive.

An old trick IIRC is to reverse the in/out hoses, can't do any harm :rolleyes:I don't know if ever worked though :lol:

Sorry to hear about your income dropping, my income is way below the average amount for the job I do, so I feel your pain! There's so much I want to do with the car! I will certainly have to try a coolant change for starters. Today it snowed on higher ground so it's far from ideal. I'm insured on my wife's car now (which has a fantastic heater :lol:) so at least I can share the driving of it with her on the weekends and in the evenings.

I finally decided to do it.

Getting to this point took about 10 hours total. It would've probably taken less time for someone with experience and traning. The service manual helped a lot, although it doesn't list many of the things you have to do to get the dashboard out. Apart from the bolts and connectors, that need to be undone, the manual doesn't mention the bazillion cable ties, and cable fix points etc. Also bare in mind, that many parts need to be taken out before it can be done, e.g. center consoles, the steering column, and many other smaller bits. Only do this, if you are a mazochist. No amount of pictures would do justice to the effort needed. Very tight spaces, stupid angles, constantly lying on my back in front of the seats. It really was a pain. Not an overly complicated task, it just takes a really really long time.

Nice work mate! I remember removing the dash from my old mk2 MR2 Turbo. Not a pleasant task. As you say, not so much difficult, just time consuming especially finding the hidden fasteners and being upside down in the footwell!!

Back