Home

Thread: EP3 dash removal

Default EP3 dash removal

My heater core is clogged, I want to replace it before the cold sets in, because I have not had much heating, if any in the car since I bought it. For this, I need to remove the entirety of the front dash, along with many things. I've never done this before, but I know it's a long and tough job. Has anyone here done this? Should I brave it, or should I leave it to a professional.

Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,219 Posts

Not really a big job. If I remember correctly, you can remove the centre part that surrounds the radio and heater vents separately, without removing any more of the dash.

Will I be able to get to the venting box and heater core with just the center console out?

Did you do this in the end Vikta? My heater is useless! I was considering replacing my heater core too. I was also wondering if doing a thorough water coolant change would help at all.
    Honda #1: 1994 Samba Green Civic CRX Del Sol VTEC d16z6 | Honda #2: 2003 Satin Silver 30th Anniversary Edition EP3 Civic Type R

I have not done it yet. My income dropped to less than half of what it used to be, so most of my plans are currently pending. I haven't even bought winter tyres, because I am planning on using my girlfriend's little car during winter. I changed the coolant after I bought the car, and that helped a bit, but the heater core needs to be replaced, I'm sure, after seeing what came out of the cooling system... I even tried to flush the heater core, but it didn't help. Maybe it would be worth trying some cooling system cleaner, but I dared not, because they are quite acidic/corrosive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Vitka For This Useful Post:

BazEP3 (15-11-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Vitka View Post
    I have not done it yet. My income dropped to less than half of what it used to be, so most of my plans are currently pending. I haven't even bought winter tyres, because I am planning on using my girlfriend's little car during winter. I changed the coolant after I bought the car, and that helped a bit, but the heater core needs to be replaced, I'm sure, after seeing what came out of the cooling system... I even tried to flush the heater core, but it didn't help. Maybe it would be worth trying some cooling system cleaner, but I dared not, because they are quite acidic/corrosive.
    An old trick IIRC is to reverse the in/out hoses, can't do any harm I don't know if ever worked though
    EP3 Track slag, Hondata + MFactory
    Kuga AWD daily - SOLD

BMW 335D Xdrive + M Sport pack

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CR54WDS For This Useful Post:

Vitka (14-11-2019)

Sorry to hear about your income dropping, my income is way below the average amount for the job I do, so I feel your pain! There's so much I want to do with the car! I will certainly have to try a coolant change for starters. Today it snowed on higher ground so it's far from ideal. I'm insured on my wife's car now (which has a fantastic heater ) so at least I can share the driving of it with her on the weekends and in the evenings.
    Honda #1: 1994 Samba Green Civic CRX Del Sol VTEC d16z6 | Honda #2: 2003 Satin Silver 30th Anniversary Edition EP3 Civic Type R