• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spark plugs: how it should looks like? Should I change them?

Hi I have just bought the FN2 type R. It was 60 reg, 60k mil and all service done by HONDA dealership, but receipt for 2018 was lost (it has the stamp on service book). According the service book, spark plugs should be changed around this mileage and I don't any record says spark plugs change, so I took one of them out to check. I thought it should look very bad but it seems okay after taking it out. The gap was just slightly more than 1mm (maybe 1.2 or something), just has a bit grey-brown color on it (see images), the insulator around electrode looks a bit brown-red color. So I am not sure whether I should change them or not now. It starts okay every time, takes around 1 to 2 second to start when cold. Did some google search and it seems this is at normal condition. Anyone know how to judge the condition of spark plugs? If they are fine, I could save some money and time;) Thanks a lot.
spark plug1.jpgspark plug2.jpg

Those look quite clean, you could probably just leave them.

I have a tendency to replace the basics when I buy a new car though, so I know what the state of things is rather than guessing. It costs a bit more but at least then you could be sure.

Another option is to call the dealer the stamp is for and ask for a copy of the receipt (or for details about what was done).

Agree with Mike.h.

Dealer will always tell you what was done to the car, they don't know where you live so you could be a prospective customer.
Due to the ridiculous new GDPR they won't give you a copy with previous owners details on even if you have got them on the V5.

Those look quite clean, you could probably just leave them.

I have a tendency to replace the basics when I buy a new car though, so I know what the state of things is rather than guessing. It costs a bit more but at least then you could be sure.

Another option is to call the dealer the stamp is for and ask for a copy of the receipt (or for details about what was done).

Ok thanks, I will ask the deal for copy. I might also clean the spark plugs gently with IPA if I have time. Thanks.

Back